Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable CW op from WW2  (Read 2853 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Some here may be interested in this story:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2013/01/04/portable-cw-operation-under-duress-a-yl-in-ww2/

John AE5X
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:33 AM »

Thank you, so many heros have been forgotten.  73, Mike KE4ILG
N0XFE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:24:35 AM »

John

Thank you very interesting. I've ordered the book to learn more.

Brian N0XFE
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »

5XZZ: Thank you for the interesting post.  I had the pleasure of playing with one of these old suitcase spy radios for awhile.  I didn't recall the nomenclature of the suitcase radio but when I checked the URL you provided I researched a bit more and tentatively identified the one I played with as the AN-PRC1. 

It still worked fine and the owner was able to make several contacts with it while on vacation, including me.  A mail carrier walked up on him as he was chatting with me and did a double-take when he saw Bud on the floor with the suitcase radio; headphones clamped on his head and working the key.  He never asked anything but departed as quickly as he could!

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:59:42 AM »

I ordered the book too - Amazon says it will be here today. I thought I might find a suitcase radio on eBay but it seems collectors have them all and want to hang on to them...

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »

I ordered the book too - Amazon says it will be here today. I thought I might find a suitcase radio on eBay but it seems collectors have them all and want to hang on to them...

Oh boy, don't you  already have a pile up of books you bought and didn't study yet? I am looking to a pile that is 3 times larger then the collected books I used partially in order to get an academic degree in the USA at a third or even lower class university.

The mentioned radio's such as AN-PRC1 are in the possession of collectors.

Two  kinds of collectors:
1. Not interested at all but knowing what will increase in value much faster then greenstamps devalued. Putting the artefacts in a climate conditioned room for the coming 20 years. After that time it will be bought by Russian and Chinese collectors.
2. Guys that are the real collectors, they will never ever sell  to a guy just thinking "Interesting story, I want such a radio to play with it for 2 weeks and then put it in the garbage because the signal reports are low, the power consumption is high, it is not build with SMD components. and bulky and it stinks to the clothes of my grandmother in law."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:56:23 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AE7UT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »

Nice story John.
Thanks.  I'm always amazed at the dedication and caring actions of people during war.
I'm not sure I would ever have that kind of chutzpah.

Stan AE7UT
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »

I saw one of these in a second hand shop in about 1990....They wanted too much for it at the time for me, but I wish I had the money at the time.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »

One just went on eBay for 4200 GBP. Too rich for my blood...

John AE5X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: