Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite morse code keys !  (Read 20101 times)
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »

In my opinion it would be any Brown Bros.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

My favorite straight key is a Begali Camelback. Weighs a ton and never moves.  Smooth as silk.
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

I started out in the early 70's using a simple J-38, then quickly moved to a Vibroplex Bug. It was fun for a while but then I moved up to a stand alone keyer & never looked back after I picked up a Bencher ST-1 single lever paddle.

After being QRT for a very long time I finally got back on the air in Oct 2012 & dug out the Bencher.  After a month or so I decided I "needed" something new & got myself a single lever P-6 from K8RA.  It was very nicely machined & heavy but it was also noisy in use.  After about 2 months I decided I "needed" something new, and quiet.

I finally decided on a gold plated Begali Simplex Mono single lever paddle & I could not be happier.

It's a beautiful piece of work, it stays put, the adjustments are very fine and, so far, have stayed where I put them.

Sending with it is such a pleasure that my speed has gone up to just over 30 wpm and I never seem to get tired using it.

And did I mention that it's quiet? Very quiet.  No more clackity clackity when I'm on the air.

By far the best single lever paddle I've ever had the pleasure to use. This is the one I'll be keeping.

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
ON6KE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »

CW Touch Keyer, everything else (too) expensive, needs cleaning, requires (periodical) adjusting, status symbol (yeah..), fragile, you name it.

This is what you need : http://www.cwtouchkeyer.com , forget the rest,

Gust ON6KE
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

A fully original, full o' brass, never bunged up, J-37. Prefer them over J-38's. Might be just me and the leaf spring on this particular J-37 is like stuff for mama bear, "just right."
 Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
W6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »

Hmmmm...  For dual lever paddle key, WBL V22, Bengalli Graciella or the Schuur Mini-Wabbler are always on the bench. I enjoy single lever paddles as well, prefer the old Eddystone, Autronic, Jones keys for their weight, stability on the operating bench. Bugs... Hands down winner is my Breedlove Codetrol. (Pretty rare.) Amazing device - can fire off a string of dits for over 5 seconds. Vibroplex Blue Racer (50's vintage) gets pulled off the shelf for time to time as well. Winner in the Straight Key department? - Jones, Kent, SKCC pump keys are in the normal rotation for SKN. For field outtings, a J-38 is hard to beat - everyone can "adjust" it to their likings.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Best CW key for the hearing impaired is C# 
W8NIC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »

i've tried a lot of iambic keys with the exception of the high priced ones and i like the kent  twin paddles the best
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

My favorite is a simple cootie or sideswiper.  It is a fun a simple way to produce the code manually with reduced risk of C. T.  Whatever key you use I am always eager to to chew the rag and meet new CW ops.
KE7WAV
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

Best CW key for the hearing impaired is C# 

Interesting... 550 Hz is right where I ended up!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

I like my Nye Viking Master key. Very quiet,comfy. I like the way those Bencher straight keys look. Never tried one,maybe someday.
KF7Z

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

I haven't used a straight key in about 45 years, since I was first incensed in high school. I've been in and out of the hobby twice since then, having just recently gotten back on the air after almost 20 years away. I don't think I could use a straight key now worth a darn. In my last foray into ham radio I used a Bencher paddle. I thought that was great. 

Now my favorite is a recently acquired Begali Pearl paddle, which I absolutely love, and can recommend highly.  I just posted my review of that paddle on this site a few days ago.
IK0YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »

... not an easy question ...
My everyday key is a paddle, however when I find a slower station (around 15-18 WPM) I go for the straight key. But then, if I listen a bug I cannot resist and plug a bug myself. However, some very rare stations use the sideswiper and ... I go with it.
I would say that my key usage is 70% time paddle, 20% bug. 5% straight, 5% sideswiper.

More or less.
73 Carlo IK0YGJ

Download Zen and the Art Of Radiotelegraphy free in PDF format here:

http://www.qsl.net/ik0ygj/enu/index.html

Now in 4 languages: Italian, English, German, French
W9TM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »

I have about a dozen paddles I've picked up over the years.  My favorite is the W8FYO single lever paddle with an Accukeyer.  I don't do iambic and find dual lever paddles clumsy for conventional, non-iambic use. 

It's interesting that most of the paddles I see advertised these days are dual lever yet most of the guys I talk to are not doing iambic keying.  What's with that?
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »

My favorite is the Kent twin paddle. And yes, I do iambic.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: