« on: January 04, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

Where is a good place where I can buy
Belden RG 8U at a good price?
Thanks,
Jack
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »

Most manufacturers have moved on from the RG-8 spec since it was abandoned by the military so many decades ago.

There are lots of newer specifications that are as good or better.

Belden 9913
RG-213
Times Microwave LMR-400
etc.

There's a lot of generic .400" diameter coax from trusted sources that are at the lower end of the cost scale. I trust The Wire Man for my coax needs.

http://www.thewireman.com/coax.html

Call them on the phone and tell them what you are doing. They are very knowledgeable and will help you select the correct product. Not to mention being down home real nice people.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

John -

RG-213/U has replaced the former RG-8/U coaxial cable (0.405" diameter).

You can telephone ANY of the amateur radio dealers in SE USA,
AES-Orlando; HRO-Atlanta; etc.

Pres Jones, N9UG at The Wireman is a good reseller.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »

The military went to the RG-213 designator when it made some slight changes in the
specification:  50 ohms rather than 52 ohms, for example, and a non-contaminating
plastic jacket.  So anything carrying the RG-213 number will be a slightly improved
replacement for RG-8, while using all the same fittings, etc.

Meanwhile, because "RG-8" is no longer and active military designation, any cable
manufacturer can use it without regard to whether it actually meets the specs
for the original cable.  Reputable companies such as Belden should be OK, and often
will have several varieties (some with foam insulation, some with non-contaminating
jacket, etc.) that are described as "RG-8 type".

All this is to say that RG-213 is basically the same as RG-8, but a bit improved, so
don't rule that out when you are looking.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

I find that RFConnection www.therfc.com via Joel 1-800-783-2666 out of Maryland provides excellent service, price.  Give him a call and discuss your needs and he can offer options that should exceed your needs and expectations.  He offers nearly 50 types of coax as well as hardline, twin lead , parts and connectors. 

Belden coax that I use for HF on two of my primary antennas

http://www.therfc.com/9913f.htm

73 NJ3U Rory
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »

remember too, that mostly on HF, there is not a whole lot of loss from using almost any coax even rg 8x, but for6m,  2m and 440 and up you need better cable and for 1.2g and higher, ya probably need to go to hard line.  for HF most any of the 1/2 inch diameter coax will work.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »

Where is a good place where I can buy
Belden RG 8U at a good price?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack, try http://www.hamcity.com I have found they have good prices on the fat coax. Its now the 213 stuff.

By the foot: https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/Cable-Rope-Wire-By-Foot-c390.htm

Or premade lengths:
https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/Cable-Rope-Wire-By-Foot-c390.htm

Rick
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:02:27 PM by W7HBP » Logged

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »

John -

In purchasing 100 feet to 500 feet of 0.405" O.D. coaxial cable (RG-213/U),
you need to WATCH SHIPPING COSTS to your QTH in Fort Pierce, FL.

This is why I always recommend LOCAL sourcing for this item and other amateur radio items of large sizes and weight.  Saving a few cents per foot to purchase from a west coast reseller makes little sense, when those savings are lost in high shipping costs.
10 cents/foot for UPS shipping would not surprise me, since ~ $10 is minimum to ship via UPS to a residential USA address these days.

w9gb
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:09:45 AM by W9GB » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »

remember too, that mostly on HF, there is not a whole lot of loss from using almost any coax even rg 8x, but for6m,  2m and 440 and up you need better cable and for 1.2g and higher, ya probably need to go to hard line.  for HF most any of the 1/2 inch diameter coax will work.

While this is true for the most part on HF, it really depends on the length of the coax run. If your antenna is on the top of a ridge 750' behind your house, then you might not want to use RG-8X.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

Unlike RG-8, all RG-213 meets MIL-C-17G.  Belden's pn = 8267 (datasheet). The good news is, RG-213 from one manufacturer will be the same as RG-213 from another manufacturer.  The bad news is, the loss ain't the best.  It uses a solid Polyethylene dielectric while lower-loss cable will use a foamed dielectric. Some RG-8 cables are actually better in that regard.

When I decided to install a 72' tower, one of the considertions was feedline. With five feedlines going up, it looked like I would need nearly 500' of cable.  Cost was a consideration but so was quality. Times Microwave's UltraFlex (LMR400UF) is certainly good stuff but, I would be paying the most for it, around $1/foot plus shipping. The next choice was Bury-FLEX™, from Davis RF (The Wireman buys it from Davis RF) for $0.85/foot ($425/500' reel) plus $50 shipping. I selected 400MAX cable from DX Engineering, for $0.73/foot ($365/500' reel) including shipping. It appears every coaxial cable except their 75 ohm cable qualifies for free shipping... even short lengths. Smiley

The 400MAX's polyethylene outer jacket is stiffer than the PVC jacket of RG-213 but, the 19-strand center conductor is more flexible than the 7-strand center conductor of RG-213. Its foamed PE dielectric has lower loss than RG-213 and unlike RG-213, the aluminum foil + braided copper shield is 100%.  It wasn't a tough decision.  Smiley

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »

I like the RG8U for flexibility inside the shack for running RF around tight spots. All of the loads will be 50 ohms and should not be bad losses. Once I'm outside I go to the RG213. The Davis FLEX is very nice and can even connect directly to a Yagi. No problem using a rotator.
And then I go with Bury Flex for my one run to the Vertical about 250 feet from the shack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: