Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical Materiel Corporation ATS-2  (Read 2049 times)
W9PN

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »

I am looking to hear from anyone who has attempted to use a model ATS-2 Remote Antenna Tuning System, produced by The Technical Material Corporation of Mamaroneck, NY with a long wire or vertical.  The tuner was designed to match a 35 foot whip to, depending on model either a 50 ohm or 70 ohm unbalanced 2-30 Mhz transmitter output.  I am wondering what modifications if any might be required to use the tuner with a taller, in my case, 83 foot vertical.  I would also like to use the system on the low end of 160m through 30m (1.8-10.150 Mhz).

I found the technical manual for the ATS-2 on-line at:

http://www.virhistory.com/tmc/tmc_pages/tmc_manuals/manuals_db/ats/tm_ats-2_5_15_65.pdf

If anyone has experience with this unit please contact me.  My contact information is good on QRZ.com

Very 73,
Doug, W9PN

K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:13:37 AM »

Doug,

I've never dealt with one, but I'd bet that no modification will be required.  At 2 MHz, the 35' whip has a very low input resistance and a ton of capacitive reactance.  If the tuner can handle that, it's obviously a wide-range tuner with plenty of inductance.  The only question remaining is whether it has the range to tune your 83' vertical.  It should have no problems on the lower bands.  My only question would be 30M, where it's about .84 WL at 10.15 MHz.  The antenna will have a much higher input resistance and the input reactance will be inductive.

The manual states that it's capable of matching inputs of 5 to 500 ohms resistive and -j850 to +j750 ohms reactive to a 50 ohm system to 2.5:1 or less.  Perhaps some modeling is in order.

GL & 73,

Don, K2DC
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »

Hal Layer,  San Francisco State Univ.
http://online.sfsu.edu/hl/
would be a good resource with his KK6HY TMC station.
http://online.sfsu.edu/hl/kk6hy.html

K4OZY - TMC History
http://www.tmchistory.org/

These are the type of ELMERS you need for your project.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:44:04 PM by W9GB » Logged
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

Doug:
         I have one and use it. I tried sending you an email but it bounced. Please PM me if you wish to discuss it; my email is OK on QRZ. com.

Mike  W2LO
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:49:09 PM »

Geeez the download for the PDF must be coming from a dial-up service....
YUP ...that is one HECK of a tuner. I had one of those given to me. But in my LID days didn't know how valuable the thing was or what to do with it.
VERY nice and very well built. That HUGE meter was beautiful.
Fred
W9PN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »

Thanks to all who replied to my January post.  The project is now a real project.

I first ran across the TMC ATS-2 at a hamfest back in January and spent the last couple months trying to decide if I wanted to tackle the project or not.  The seller was back at a hamfest just this past weekend and I made a deal with him so now have the ATS-2.  I only have the remote box which is in original, un-modified condition.  I do not have the original control head or SWR bridge.  I'm in the paper process of understanding the circuits and designing a control head to take care of the basic remote motor operation and accept analog feedback to meter the inductor and switch positions.  I am thinking of using some window comparators to meter the switch position feedback signal and light up some LEDs to indicate the switch position.  I will probably use an analog meter to indicate the relative inductor position although hope to use something less than the original 105VDC source voltage for the metering.

Thanks to all who replied to my January post.  The project is now a real project.

very 73,
Doug, W9PN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: