Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ic-706mk2g  (Read 1321 times)
KI4AWZ

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »

hello i just purchased a ic-706mk2g radio,very excited i hooked the radio up in the shack first to check it out.receive seemed to work fine,i set the radio up on 2 meters with a local repeater put in the tone and pushed mic,it shows power out but repeater wount key up. i keep pushing mic and the repeater will key up every once and a while.but i can not get it to key up when i try to talk into mic.i went to a repeater that doesnt require a tone and i can key it up every time. but the radio doesnt transmit audio. i tried another mic off another 706mk2g radio still doesnt work. i did a hard reset by pushing the up and down buttons, no good.i took the head off and cleaned the contacts on head and transmitter, no good.i havent got a antenna tuned yet for hf so i dont know about hf.  any ideas?   thank you
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »

You probably got the radio used. So there are lots of possibilities for your observations.
With a new radio first thing to do is read the manual carefully which you hopefully did.
You did not mention your antenna and the connection. It is not unusual to have reception with an unmatched antenna. On transmit, however, this could cause difficulties. What SWR do you read? Keying up once in a while shows marginal conditions.You need to make sure the CTCSS tone is correct. Talking does not influence the repeater to key up. How do you know the radio does not modulate? Can you hear the repeater back? To see if modulation works, switch to SSB and see if the output power varies with your talking into the mic.
So there are multiple issues at this time, let's tackle them one by one.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »

Investigate the Tone settings more thoroughly. 

Likely something not right there. 

Certain types of repeater controllers may key up without Tone if someone else has "opened" the repeater with a proper tone transmission first.  That might explain why you can sometimes key up and hear the repeater's roger beep but other times cannot. 

I'd have to check my '706 to see if it does or does not Reset all the Tone configs when a Reset is done, but be advised that I'm certain that other rigs I have may or may not Reset the Tone settings that you have entered.  So understanding how to set them and use of the Manual and going back thru that is certainly in order here. 

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

Common problem , resolder the 9 Mhz trimmer capacitor on the top side board near the center ,very easy fix. The flow machine at Icom never hits the top leg and eventually becomes intermittent. You show power as it IS putting out RF but off frequency. I see them ALL the time.  C267 is a miniature SMT trimmer capacitor located to the right of the 9.0115 MHz IF Filter on the Main Unit
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:18:30 AM by N4ATS » Logged
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:35 AM »

Did you fix the issue with the trimmer cap? I can do it for you free if you wish...  www.N4ATS.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: