Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local EMI FIXED  (Read 1404 times)
WB4SPT

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »

I mean real local, like right above the shack.  I'm in a new to me basement, actually set up the gear at the wet bar.  Lots of dimmers in the basement driving can lights, so far so good.  No issues with 20 75w can lights driven by some 4 or 5 dimmers.  The lights in the bar are incandescents, again on a dimmer.  But these cause S7 of noise on 15 meters, totally unacceptable.  So I go off and buy a new dimmer, with RFI filter written on the package, no change,  hmmm.  Tried the lights without a dimmer, still S7.  Hmmmm.  I see that these lamps are 12v, hmmmm.   I have somewhere a 12v dimmable power supply hidden in the suspended ceiling.  I finally find it, and low a behold its a no name halogen light "driver" 120v in 12v out, and it's electronic.  hmmmm.   I put on nice large ferrite sleeves on the output, and ,  and, they get warm and still S7.  hmmm.  Yes, the ferrite gets warm almost hot.  This black box is putting out much more than DC and lots of it.  Off I go to get a real iron transformer, 100va or so, and make that work with a dimmer; more challenges, I'm sure.  Now, I read that there are dimmers made for magnetic transformers.  Need a 3 way version.  Life used to be so, simple.
N9KTW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »

David:

LUTRON electronics does make dimmers that will work in your application.  If I am not mistaken it would be either the "SKYLARK" or the "DIVA" series.  They used to have a really great tech department reachable over the phone. PM me if you need more information.

Howard, N9KTW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: