Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are There More DX-ers Now Than in 2001?  (Read 1739 times)
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »

I agree.  How many people in their twenties can afford a house of their own now that the easy money days are long gone and most are putting off marriage until their thirties. It certainly is not like the 1950's when my parents were married at 21 and 22.  

From my QRZ bio I wrote:

"No doubt the hobby helped me out quite a bit at school. I had to be one of the best informed High School students even as a freshman. Shortwave radio was a Geography, History, Current Events, and Technology class all rolled into one little ball."

I worked a station from Baffin Island on 10 meters yesterday which is rare because it is Zone 2 and we are close but we were both 40 over due to some abnormal propagation.  VY0HL had some photos of wildlife on his site which were absolutely stunning. We have much in common with shared interests in Geography and Wildlife. I really enjoy seeing the pictures of various birds alien to my location in New England. I used to have several feeders in the backyard but I was more often feeding squirrels than birds so I stopped after a few years.

One can really learn a lot about many topics through SWLing and Ham Radio but I think what has always got people into the hobby is the "Magic of Radio." I have been listening to the HF bands for over 40 years now and I'm still amazed when I hear a signal from the opposite side of the globe.

Chris/NU1O
I forgot to mention "the magic of radio." This is important for me too, it is why I started MW DXing and SWLing as a teen. I still like to MW DX/SWL on occasion, and will frequently take a crappy AM/SW radio with me into the garage when it is warm outside while I'm tinkering around at night, just so I can hear things from a far off place.

ex W4HFK
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »

Hmmm???  Wonder if I am the oldest in our little group?

I am 71, and was only 6 months old when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

73, Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

Hmmm???  Wonder if I am the oldest in our little group?

I am 71, and was only 6 months old when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

73, Gene AF3Y

Dad turned 45 that year. He wasn't a ham, though.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »

Licensed here since 1977 at the age of 13, and I was immediately bitten by the DX bug.  I remember huge pileups back when I started, but it is different.

1. We have cluser spots now, and everyone immediately flocks to the pileup.  Back when I started, the pileups did not build as quickly.

2. I think the average age is higher than it was, and more retired folks are able to enjoy the hobby.

3. There are a LOT MORE of the BIG GUN stations with huge towers.  This is partly due to increased wealth (for some) and also increased time available to spend on the hobby.

4. The rigs are better.

5. With LoTW, getting DX awards is easier.  It's also (mostly) easier to get QSL paper cards.  I admit that I check my LoTW totals DAILY.

6. Many societies are more competitive.  Look at how we work now compared to many years ago.  That competition spills over into our hobby.

I think if you look at the contesting aspects of our hobby, you will also see a simliar increase (total number of logs submitted, new record scores, etc.) 

What has DECREASED is the rag chewing.  I can't remember the last time I had a good ragchew.  Maybe a VK6 on 20 SSB long path in September, and an RTTY chat for 45 minutes last January.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: