Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D104 Night Eagle and Kenwood TS-690S  (Read 1782 times)
N7FZ

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »

I'm sure some folks will think I'm stupid, but I've been searching the 'net for a simple pin-out to pin-out chart and haven't been able to find one.  I've found all sorts of technical discussion that doesn't really help me.

I have a D104 Night Eagle amplified mic with a 6-wire/6-pin connection, and I need to connect it to my TS-690S which has an 8-pin connector.  While I'm at it, I'd also like to eliminate the battery and power the amp from the rig.

All I really need is the pin-to-pin correlations, and where to connect the DC wires, so that I can remove the 6-pin connector and install an 8-pin.  Just some simple help, please.  I do have an 8-wire cord available if I need it, but I'd prefer to stay with the 6-wire factory cord if I can.

I don't want or need a dissertation or flames.  While a schematic isn't necessary, having one for reference would be nice, in case I need it down the log.  I may need to do some impedance matching as well, although I'm not sure since this mic is from very late in the production run.

I have a friend that is going to do the actual work for me, since old eyes and arthritic hands don't do well with stuff that small.
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »

Courtesy of G4WPW, from the link provided by Heil Sound->Amateur Radio->Pinouts

D-104 wiring is here:

http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/d104.html

TS-690 is here (scroll down to Kenwood) TS-50):

http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/date.html

Best 73 and Good Luck in the contest!
N7FZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

And herein lies the problem.  The D104 schematic does NOT indicate which wire goes to which pin.  It's always possible to assume it's 1 to 6 from top to bottom, but I'm sure you know the old saw about assume.

Nor does it identify which wire serves which function, that needs to be deduced from the schematic, and I'm not all that sure about my deductions.  My circuit analysis skills are very rusty.

And how, pray tell, do I connect the battery leads to rig power without causing other problems, since that needs to be done in the mic base?  And what about impedance matching, if needed?

You have provided some help, primarily with the links themselves, but not the info I really need.  I'm just asking for a simple "connect this wire to that pin" set of instructions.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:09:20 AM »

And herein lies the problem.  The D104 schematic does NOT indicate which wire goes to which pin.  It's always possible to assume it's 1 to 6 from top to bottom, but I'm sure you know the old saw about assume.

Nor does it identify which wire serves which function, that needs to be deduced from the schematic, and I'm not all that sure about my deductions.  My circuit analysis skills are very rusty.

And how, pray tell, do I connect the battery leads to rig power without causing other problems, since that needs to be done in the mic base?  And what about impedance matching, if needed?

You have provided some help, primarily with the links themselves, but not the info I really need.  I'm just asking for a simple "connect this wire to that pin" set of instructions.

That should be low impedance and you should NOT have to do anything.

Pins:

1- White
2- Red
7- Shield
8- Blue

Black and yellow have no connections. I would not worry about wiring the 8V thru the mic. The battey will last a year or 2 minimum. The battery is only connect in transmit. So it is not in use during receive.

http://www.cbtricks.com/mic_manuals/astatic/astatic_wiring_handbook.pdf
N7FZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »

Thank You OM!  That's exactly what I am looking for.  Although I could use black and yellow to connect the power so that I don't have to worry about the battery at all, since I tend to forget things like that.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

Thank You OM!  That's exactly what I am looking for.  Although I could use black and yellow to connect the power so that I don't have to worry about the battery at all, since I tend to forget things like that.

If you are contesting with that mic, it is not ideal for contesting. Not the audio part, but the PTT part. I would find it a pain in the ass.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »

Although I could use black and yellow to connect the power so that I don't have to worry about the battery at all, since I tend to forget things like that.

Yes you can, but not worth it in my opinion, because the batter lasts so damn long. I will say this. Many D104 mics are wired for 4-pin Cobra CBs. That is by far the most common CB hookup. If yours was wired for that, they sell Kenwood 8-pin to Cobra 4-pin adapters on ebay.

The biggest problem is if you have many radios. I wired mine for a Cobra 4-pin even though I do not own a Cobra type radio, but then I got 3 adapters and I can use it on 3 different radios without re-wiring. Good luck!

KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »

The answer was right on the page provided under Courtesy of G4WPW, from the link provided by Heil Sound->Amateur Radio->Pinouts.

http://www.qsl.net/g4wpw/date.html

Scrolling to the bottom of that page, one would have found the link to the Astatic D-104 wiring, color for color, pin number and all for an 8 pin Kenwood connector (diagram of connector included).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: