Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mac Desktops  (Read 6841 times)
W2ZS

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

I have about had it with my windows PC crashes and other problems, and am thinking about getting a new Mac.

A some of questions, I understand the new Mac's do NOT have an audio input.
Is this a problem interfacing a transceiver?
Is lack of audio input a problem for digital modes such as PSK31, RTTY?
Am I correct I can transfer my log from HRD to a Mac logging program?

Art (a very fustrated PC user)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

I do not know about your crashes but if you have them is is usually hardware related or a errant program. I cannot remember the last crash I have had. In the PC world there is far greater support for radio apps than is Mac's are not without problems of their own. How old is your current PC?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

I *LOVE* my MacBook, but admit I still use a PC for radio rig control, contest logging, etc. I agree that if you maintain a clean system, any crashes are likely hardware related.

Most new Macs (at least the laptops) do have audio input, but it is integrated into the headphone/audio out port. It uses a 4-conductor plug, the same as is used on iPhones and iPads. For separate input/output ports, you'd need a splitter like this one - http://speechrecsolutions.com/iPad_audio.html#iphoneheadsetadapter Or you could get a USB adapter - something like the Signalink USB works splendidly with Macs.

HRD will output ADIF which can be imported into any logging program worth using.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

I hate Windows problems as well. Switched to a Mac for my main personal machine last year. But I still have a Win machine or two. I find that if I reinstall Windows and rebuild the machine every so often, it keep the problems away. I do my work laptop about every 6-9 months depending on the problems.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:06 PM »

I hate Windows problems as well. Switched to a Mac for my main personal machine last year. But I still have a Win machine or two. I find that if I reinstall Windows and rebuild the machine every so often, it keep the problems away. I do my work laptop about every 6-9 months depending on the problems.

I have never had to reload a windows machine for over 10 years and it was not from lack of pushing envelope either. If you have good hardware and enough. RAM that you do not have to page memory a lot to HD windows is very relible. I have maintained a lot of machines and win versions too. Been using 64bit since Vista with no problems. People that have problems have bad hardware or use questionable software. My daughter has a Mac book she used with getting her MBA but I was not impressed vs a new PC laptop. You can get a lot more laptop for less in PC world than Mac world.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:32 AM »

Might I suggest a Linux variant, such as Puppy or Ubuntu. FLDigi will work on either very well. Couple it with a Signalink USB and you're good to go for digital operation. There are also logging softwares available for Puppy and Ubuntu, and yes, you should be able to import you existing log.

Also, Puppy will run off a bootable USB stick...
W2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

Thanks all

Yes it was a hardwear problem that started it all. Crashes and blue screens of death appear to have been cause by some bad memory.
After I replaced the memory cards with new ones system is stable...no more blue screens...but now have lost all the com ports in device manager.
Can't get HRD deluxe to connect (worked well for 5 years before) could not get signals into DM780. Device manager refuses to open systems and I get message that my windows is not genuine.

It has occurred to me today that when windows was loaded onto this machine it still had the memory problem. I guess it need to be reformatted and OS loaded fresh.

I have read that new Mac desktops do not have any audio inputs.

Art
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »

Thanks all

Yes it was a hardwear problem that started it all. Crashes and blue screens of death appear to have been cause by some bad memory.
After I replaced the memory cards with new ones system is stable...no more blue screens...but now have lost all the com ports in device manager.
Can't get HRD deluxe to connect (worked well for 5 years before) could not get signals into DM780. Device manager refuses to open systems and I get message that my windows is not genuine.

It has occurred to me today that when windows was loaded onto this machine it still had the memory problem. I guess it need to be reformatted and OS loaded fresh.

I have read that new Mac desktops do not have any audio inputs.

Art

How old is laptop and what is its hardware configuration.

W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »

Increase memory (RAM).  Most of us buy a computer with a small amount of RAM.
Sure it works fine but over the years...programs and applications are requiring more
memory. Before I'd consider buying a new pc...I'd install more RAM.  73...Sam W8VVE
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »

Increase memory (RAM).  Most of us buy a computer with a small amount of RAM.
Sure it works fine but over the years...programs and applications are requiring more
memory. Before I'd consider buying a new pc...I'd install more RAM.  73...Sam W8VVE

Sometimes this depends on age of PC because then you have to consider HD speed and its viability due to its age. Sometimes you can be throwing good money after bad. Especially given that you can get a new entry level laptop in 300's that is far ahead of old PC in speed, hardware and memory too.

N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:31 PM »

My IMAC has audio in and out plugs.  They're the little ? 3.5 mm (earphone style) jacks.

My Imac has connected to both of my radios through the USB cables, appropriate for the radio.  This is for rig control and the Singalink.

I get Rig control from Rumtrol7000  and the FL RIG for mac.  FLDIGI works.   Most mac programs are not as developed as the windows variants, but they do work well.
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 06:41:44 AM »

I have been a computer systems engineer since we barely had computers and have worked with almost everything ever made - programming in machine code (and lots of others) for military and space hardware systems. I won't comment on the usefulness of either PC or Mac. I have a Mac G5 that I was given by a granddaughter. I have several built/purchased PC's.

I will say this. I have always been, and remain, deeply offended by Apple's policy of "planned obsolescence" and their obvious disregard for their customer base. When one of their machines falls out of favor at Apple, it is just too bad for those customers who paid out the nose for Mac systems. I even had a Mac tech one day who told me, "Don't be cheap, go buy a new Mac system." In a pig's eye.

I also deplore the software situation that exists with every Apple product. If you need software for a specific application, chances are it will not have been written for a Mac. Why? Sales volume and proprietary policies. I don't want to have to spend months writing software when I can get it already written for a lot less than my time would cost. I wouldn't (and haven't) ever considered writing software to sell for a product that sells 1 system for every 25 the competition sells.

You should consider these two items carefully before spending hard-earned money on a computer. PC's can be made extremely reliable if you are diligent about junk software, watch for hardware problems, and learn your system. Others have mentioned system memory. Mac's are not the trouble-free panacea some would have you believe. Heaven help you if they obsolete your hardware/software combination.

One last thing to consider. Both Mac's and PC's now use Intel processors. Guess who has more experience designing system architecture for the Intel chip set?

Just my comments anyway. Worth exactly what you paid for them.

73   Pete
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

One last thing to consider. Both Mac's and PC's now use Intel processors. Guess who has more experience designing system architecture for the Intel chip set?

This in itself was a big concession of sorts for Apple. In year past the first used CPU of Motorola 68k series an then when to RISC (reduced instruction set cpu/computer) because at time it offered higher clock speeds than intel logic but required much different code. When Intel finally "broke" the speed barrier with their CISC CPU's, CISC lost favor and they went to Intel logic. A similar battle is about to be waged by Intel in tablet smart phone logic too. Currently ARM CPU's rule here because because of their power efficiency and speed (they are RISC CPU's too) Intel has long ignored this market but this is changing. It seems the that the current "lowly" Atom CPU is actually faster than all but a few of the latest ARM CPU's. Intel is launching a new generation of Atoms that are targeted to tablets and phones and are very low in power usage. In late 2013 they plan release of a quad core atom that will beat any ARM currently available easily. Microsoft made a big blunder when they entered tablet market and tried to play Apple in marketing the Windows RT tablet. It uses a ARM CPU only and WILL NOT support legacy windows apps because of ARM CPU limitations. MS then want you to buy all new apps for it on line.  Other manufactures of Windows tablets are using Intel Atom CPU and run "regular" Windows 8 and have legacy support. Because of this any one considering a Windows tablet for legacy support of apps (which is good to have) need to select a tablet that DOES NOT run/use Windows RT.   

W4MMR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Art,
There is a device called an iMic made by Griffin Technology that can be used on computers that have no audio inputs - it is a USB device.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/imic

Mark
KB1YWP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

Just a little bummed out. Wile trying to download EchoLink app
I'm finding that EchoLink does not support Safari .

Is there another way other than spending money on something like Parallels ?

I'm using a Mac Book Pro 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: