Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences Betweem Chinese HT's?  (Read 3197 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »

It has been a few years since I owned a HT and the market has changed quite a bit. I went to a hamfest yesterday and dang, now I got the bug to get a HT again. I have been researching on the net and have a couple of questions.

I am interested in a Baofeng UV-5R Plus at $50 Amazon or a Wouxun KG-UV6D at $142 Amazon.

Are these the latest models? I have checked other sites besides Amazon and have found a Wouxun KG-UV6X. However I have not been able to find the difference between the D and X model. Does anyone know what the diff is? Amazon only sells the D model but the X model is available at Powerex for a higher price.

Has anyone compared the Baofeng VS the Wouxun? Opinions?

I am looking at buying from Amazon cuz I have a Prime membership and get 2 day free shipping. I would buy from a ham dealer if there are any good reasons that I should.

I have owned many many HT's in my ham lifetime and realize that these Chinese HT's are cheap. That is ok tho, because I am a cheap ham that is no longer going to pay $300 plus for a Big 3 HT.

Thanks
Stan K9IUQ
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »

I have both.  If I was going to buy another it would be the UV5.  It is smaller and cheaper.  Performance wise they are both pretty close.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »

I have both.  If I was going to buy another it would be the UV5.  It is smaller and cheaper.  Performance wise they are both pretty close.

That is quite interesting that you have both. I was kinda thinking the same way. For $72 I can get the UV5R+ HT, an extra battery and USB cable. That is about the half the price of the Wouxun without battery or cable. I wonder why the Baofeng is so much cheaper in price?

Stan K9IUQ
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »

The Wouxun is a more ruggedly built unit.  With that goes the additional size and weight.  The operating software seems to be better refined.  Still for what I use them for not triple the price more worth.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »

I agree.  The UV-5 is a tremendous value for the price and a nice little radio.  In my opinion, just get a UV-5 and save the rest towards purchasing a nice 50 Watt mobile radio.  You can even get a brand new Yaesu FT-2900 for only around $140, with 75 watts of power!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »

Probably the internal electronics are very much the same. The designators for the UV-5R do not say much. You'll find out what firmware you acquired only on the particular radio. Some good information on the Baofeng can be found here: http://miklor-uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-NewUser.html
If you read through that you know what to expect. There are some limitations that come with the low price. By the way, there is a Yahoo group for the UV-5R. Unfortunately the almost 6000 members seem to feel an urge to post very often, even without real need.
One caveat though, the UV-5R is marginal on the FCC requirements for harmonics on 2m frequencies. So it is a real good idea to buy from a US dealer.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:00 AM »

Probably the internal electronics are very much the same. The designators for the UV-5R do not say much.

I think I am going to buy a Baofeng later today. First I have to figure out which one to buy. Amazon has about 4 different UV-5R models. They even have a UV-5R with extra battery for $40. I figure that one must be an older version. Still it sounds like a very good deal. On the other hand I can get a Uv-5R plus with "More Stubborn Case" and "more rich and enhanced features" for $50 but no extra battery. Decisions, an extra battery for $10 less or a more stubborn case?  Cheesy

Thanks for the link, it has lots of good info.

Stan K9IUQ
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:53 AM »

I got an extra battery. It is always good to have a charged one as backup. You should cover the contacts well against shorting.
One thing I forgot to mention, the stock antenna is faulty by design. It heats up, or rather warms up. The reason is RF oscillations. I am just experimenting with some different antennas I obtained from China. So much for the hobby.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »

I got an extra battery.

Well, I went for a Baofeng UV-5RA at $44.80 with the Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping. I was going for the UV-5R plus model until I found it did not come from Amazon and meant a $8 shipping fee tacked on.

However I carefully read the description of the UV-5RA and it says: "An upgraded version of UV-5R, the 2013 LATEST Two Way Radio with more stubborn case, more rich and enhanced features!" It also has "One Year Warranty by Etekcity". I could not find any info on a warranty on the UV-5R plus model.

I also went for an extra battery at $13.50 and the usb cable. My last HT was a VX-7 and just the battery for that HT cost more than the Baofengs whole order...  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

I have had a UV-3R (UV5 was not available at the time of purchase) for over a year now paid around $40 shipped and for the money it is fine.  The receiver is not the best, I have to have it connected to my tower mount antenna to say it was satisfactory.  However, if you live close to the repeater you frequently operate it would probably be a great little radio.  Construction was fine and hard to believe you can have so many features in a sub $40 transceiver.  A better handheld antenna would probably help this little guy a lot.

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »

However, if you live close to the repeater you frequently operate it would probably be a great little radio.

A better handheld antenna would probably help this little guy a lot.

I have read that the UV-5 is a big improvement over the UV-3. Probably that "More Stubborn case"   Wink Cheesy

I live 6 miles from the local repeater. I am on a hilltop and so is the repeater. I am at 820 ft ASL and the repeater is about 1000 ft ASL. We got eyeball contact so to speak. With Jap HT's I always used the lowest power available for "Full Quieting". However I use a HT mostly for listening and travel, with just occasional ragchews.

I have options to replace the Rubber Duckie.

At $45 delivered I can't see much risk.

FWIW, Amazon still is selling several different models of the UV-3 for around $35....

At these prices even a cheap ham could afford to upgrade to a new model every year or so.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:53:40 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: