Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally  (Read 4395 times)
KK4CPH

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

Signed up for SKCC and after procrastinating, finally decided to get on the air.  I looked for a K3Y station and answered his CQ.  I about froze when he came back!  I must have corrected myself about 3 times.  Had a death grip on my key. Cheesy  Then the QSB started then QRM.... lots of QRM!  But we got the basic info exchanged.  I'm glad I finally "dih-dit".  Feels good to get that first one done!  Now that I think about it... seems funny that I would go into panic mode on my first QSO.  Must be the novice experience.  Shocked

Eric
K8KZB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »

Glad that you became a member of SKCC and glad you got the first one logged!!
Keep with it and put that Mic in the drawer :-)

Jeff
K8KZB SKCC 5053
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

Eric:  You just opened a door to a very new world; a world of many new experiences and possibilities.  Step through...... and enjoy!!

Al - K8AXW
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »

Just like my first one too Eric.  Grin And that was only10 months ago... I'm new myself and my main problem is getting enough QSOs to get better. many of the stations I copy strongly are in Europe and are calling DX.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »

Eric:  You just opened a door to a very new world; a world of many new experiences and possibilities.  Step through...... and enjoy!!

Al - K8AXW

Hopefully not meeting guys and gals as narrow minded as the required bandwidth of their sigs.

Bob
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »

Just like my first one too Eric.  Grin And that was only10 months ago... I'm new myself and my main problem is getting enough QSOs to get better. many of the stations I copy strongly are in Europe and are calling DX.

try 40m FISTS calling freq .7.028, plenty of lads on who will gladly qso you at speeds your comfortable with ... a tip , get an mp3 player and stick some morse on it . "just learn morse code" is a good program to convert plain text into code ..  stick stuff on your interested in so it keeps your concentration PLUS you already have an idea what being "talked" about ..

I listen to a lot about fishing and just started listening to case files on Jack the Ripper.

billy
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »

Thats it Billy, I am in FISTS so maybe I'll just start calling on 7.028 a bit.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

I think you guys mean 7058.
   de ab9nz
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:30:02 AM »

7.028 is the European FISTS calling frequency. Im in SKCC too and have made at least one contact via them..right now I am on 30m and hearing voices on there Angry

George Orwell
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:16 AM »

I think you guys mean 7058.

This side of the Atlantic, that's firmly in the "all modes" part of the band plan, and is usually well smothered with digital stuff or SSB...

You can certainly try using Morse there, of course, as it definitely fits the "all modes" description. Wink

(I had a few CW QSOs up at 7194 from Kenya when it turned out the SSB wasn't getting through both ways, and the folks I had a sked with couldn't manage any other time or band.)

73, Rick M0LEP
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:47:02 AM by M0LEP » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »

I still remember my first contact as a Novice.  I was 15 and called CQ and lo and behold the guy that answered turned out to be 15 years old too, albeit with a little more experience than me at the time.  As far as being nervous, I was lucky, I had my Father standing behind me copying in his head and giving me fills of anything I missed!
Michael, W4HIJ
KC9UNL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:18 AM »

Congratulations!! Smiley You will be glad that you joined the SKCC and will find a great bunch of CW operators. You have accomplished the
hardest part - - the first one. Just remember that it only gets better with practice.  Keep operating CW and make as many contacts as
you can.  Listen to how some of the better operators sound and practice to achieve a similar sound in your sending.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »

A K3Y log search reveals that you didn't quit with that first contact, either.  Good for you.  BTW, you are now qualified to sign up for a stint of operating as K3Y during next year's anniversary event.   Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: