The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting ALC for ALS 600  (Read 16105 times)
VA3GUY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »

Okay, never mind my last post.  I did the complete setup with the ALC cable 'unplugged'.

DOH!!!  Shocked

All is good now! (with cable plugged in)  Wink

Guy
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:58:02 AM »

The switching power supply does NOT sense power line input. It senses load currents and power supply heat. It doesn't care if it is 120 or 240, as long as it does not fall out of regulation or exceed a certain output load.

Also, as to the ALC. The manual, in broken English Smiley , says:

The Amplifier's back panel has an ALC limit control.  This control is to limit the amount
of ALC voltage sent to the transceiver.  This is necessary due to there is not a standardize
ALC voltage on transceivers.  To set the ALC limit control, adjust the ALC set knob on
front of the amplifier to 10 (fully clockwise).  Apply enough drive into the amplifier until
the amplifier's power meter reads about 400 to 500 watts.  Note: The amplifier's power
meter should never exceed 700 watts at anytime.  Plug the ALC into the back of the
amplifier (if not already done).  Turn the ALC set knob (on front of amplifier) to 0
(counter-clockwise).  Key amplifier with RF applied.  Adjust the ALC limit control (on
back of amplifier) until the ALC light on front of amplifier just comes on.  No other
adjustment needs to be done to the ALC limit control, unless a different transceiver is
used.  The only adjustments for ALC will be done on front of the amplifier.  Follow the
operator's manual for ALC adjustment.

A better English version is here:

http://www.w8ji.com/ameritron_alc_adjustment.htm

VA3GUY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

W8JI,

I went to your link and looked at your instructions on how to adjust the ALC.  I compared it to the instructions that W5WDV received from Ameritron.  There seems to be some disagreement between initial settings on the ALC setting on the back.  You say to turn it fully clockwise initially and according to the instructions from Ameritron, they say to start with it fully counter-clockwise.  Here are their instructions:

RE: Adjusting ALC for ALS 600
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »

To all who are trying to follow the original instruction from Ameritron on the ALS-600 amplifier:
I finally got throughout and spoke to John who was gracious enough to email the following revised method of setting the ALC.

1. Set radio to FM, RTTY, or CW.
2. Set radio power output to 100W
3. From the point of view of the back of the amplifier, turn the ALC knob on the rear panel fully counter clockwise.
4. Set the knob on the front panel to 0.
5. Make sure the amplifier power is on and in STANDBY.
6. Connect a dummy load to the amplifier or make sure the antenna is tuned in properly.
7. Put amplifier in OPERATE and key up.  NOTE : the amplifier should be putting out close to 0 watts.
8. While keyed up, turn the knob on the back panel until the yellow light ALC light just barely starts to flicker.  NOTE : at this point, the amplifier is now calibrated to the radio and should be putting out approximately 100 watts.
9. Slowly turn the knob on the front panel until the output power reaches approximately 500 watts.

If you have struggled withe the original method, you will notice that this set of instructions actually contradicts a few steps. One of which is actually reversed! Which is why my results were the opposite result of what I was expecting. Amazing, I'm not crazy after all!

This was copied and pasted from the original email sent this date so even though you may have a late manufactured amp, (mine was built in 02-2011) this instruction sheet was not included. Good luck, hopefully this will put the confusion to rest.

73's

Bill - W5WDV

******IMPORTANT UPDATE******
seems Ameritron forgot 1 step with the latest instructions!

10. After completing the above 9 steps, turn the drive DOWN on the exciter or your signal will flattop. I reduced to 35 watts of drive on the Icom 7000 and was still putting out 500 peak clean watts in SSB. Good amplifier, poor instructions. once I dropped the drive down, had a mini pile up with stations telling me how good it sounded vs the flat topped signal.

Adding this step actually puts me back where I started but since it sounds good and clean, I'm done with it.

Good luck to all and remember turn all knobs left until you figure it out!

Bill - W5WDV

So I am a little confused as to what to do.  I followed the Ameritron instructions above and everything 'seems' to work fine but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it.  I am concerned that I may be doing damage to the amp now.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks much...

Guy
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »

W8JI,

I went to your link and looked at your instructions on how to adjust the ALC.  I compared it to the instructions that W5WDV received from Ameritron.  There seems to be some disagreement between initial settings on the ALC setting on the back.  You say to turn it fully clockwise initially and according to the instructions from Ameritron, they say to start with it fully counter-clockwise.  Here are their instructions:

RE: Adjusting ALC for ALS 600
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »

To all who are trying to follow the original instruction from Ameritron on the ALS-600 amplifier:
I finally got throughout and spoke to John who was gracious enough to email the following revised method of setting the ALC.

1. Set radio to FM, RTTY, or CW.
2. Set radio power output to 100W
3. From the point of view of the back of the amplifier, turn the ALC knob on the rear panel fully counter clockwise.
4. Set the knob on the front panel to 0.
5. Make sure the amplifier power is on and in STANDBY.
6. Connect a dummy load to the amplifier or make sure the antenna is tuned in properly.
7. Put amplifier in OPERATE and key up.  NOTE : the amplifier should be putting out close to 0 watts.
8. While keyed up, turn the knob on the back panel until the yellow light ALC light just barely starts to flicker.  NOTE : at this point, the amplifier is now calibrated to the radio and should be putting out approximately 100 watts.
9. Slowly turn the knob on the front panel until the output power reaches approximately 500 watts.

If you have struggled withe the original method, you will notice that this set of instructions actually contradicts a few steps. One of which is actually reversed! Which is why my results were the opposite result of what I was expecting. Amazing, I'm not crazy after all!

This was copied and pasted from the original email sent this date so even though you may have a late manufactured amp, (mine was built in 02-2011) this instruction sheet was not included. Good luck, hopefully this will put the confusion to rest.

73's

Bill - W5WDV

******IMPORTANT UPDATE******
seems Ameritron forgot 1 step with the latest instructions!

10. After completing the above 9 steps, turn the drive DOWN on the exciter or your signal will flattop. I reduced to 35 watts of drive on the Icom 7000 and was still putting out 500 peak clean watts in SSB. Good amplifier, poor instructions. once I dropped the drive down, had a mini pile up with stations telling me how good it sounded vs the flat topped signal.

Adding this step actually puts me back where I started but since it sounds good and clean, I'm done with it.

Good luck to all and remember turn all knobs left until you figure it out!

Bill - W5WDV

So I am a little confused as to what to do.  I followed the Ameritron instructions above and everything 'seems' to work fine but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it.  I am concerned that I may be doing damage to the amp now.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks much...

Guy

I see what the problem is. I did the prototype control one way, and someone reversed it. That sometimes happens because two people think about the same control two different ways.

I'll revise my instructions.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: