Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 21082 times)
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »

Agreed, although I just can't imagine anyone wiring funds to a bank account in this case. Of course dumber things have happened!

Rich
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »

I think these are the same guys I was in contact with about a year ago, because the Amp looks the same!

I went the whole 9 yards with these guys, I even had a business acquaintance who flies to China about once a month agree to go in person and pick up the Amp and pay them cash.   At the end of about a 6 or 7 email exchange they finally told me that they don't want to sell outside of China Huh  My reply was that your not selling outside of China your selling to a guy who will be in China so it's not going to be your problem exporting it.  End Result, no reply to that last email  Roll Eyes

Based on that you make up your own mind.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

on its face, sounds like these guys don't want to get busted at the Customs desk.

I suspect they would be.

and the guy ordering would be the one stuck outta luck.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

These are direct copies of the OMPOWER amps. This is normal business practice  for Chinese companies. They just copy what is perceived to be successful. They even copy Mercedes and Jeep cars in China.

Since there is nothing   about the design that is  patented or a registered design they can do this. Is it ethical that is another question.   I think people who do this kind of direct copying are really fraudsters.
Most of Chinas success is based on fraud, and all you are doing is destroying jobs in the  west by supporting this fraud.  I am sure there will be hams who will buy these products for what reason I dont know.
I suppose when you go down the road and look in the shops you will understand  why China is so successful, they have built an empire on copying and manufacuring. At the same time they have destroyed
your neighbors or the jobs of your relatives and friends.  This is new world order of free trade, not fair trade.

You can take any product to China and have a copy of it made including the firmware in a  week or two.

The real problem with these Chinese products is that they just equalize the prices with the prices that you pay in the west. So at the end of the day you getting an inferior product for the same price, they really
not a bargain. I would not support this kind of vulture capitalism.  You dont mind companies that produce innovative and products of their own design, why should you support opportunist who are just rip off artists.

You would be crazy sinking that kind of money into  an unproven product. But hey it might be better than using a CB RM Italy amplifier on the ham bands!
BG1FPX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »

A clarification:

I'm not one of owners of the company, I'm only a friend of BG7JAA.

BG7JAA can't read and write English, so I help him with translation.

I don't buy this product, but many Chinese hams bought it, and they unanimously said "good".

That's all I know.
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »

Hello BG1FPX:

I see that your website has recently changed (within the last 24 Hours), is this in preperation for the USA User Manual?  

Also, is BG7JAA going to offer any other method of payment than Bank Wire Transfer?  You have to understand, insisting on bank wire transfer payment as opposed to major credit card, is considered a huge risk to us here in the USA.

Finally, could you please inquire as to BG7JAA's exact relationship to OM Power? If there is no relationship, then please say so.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:50:32 PM by KO4NX » Logged
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »

All,

I contacted the U.S. Distributor of OM Power amplifiers. The response I received, OM Power is aware of these amplifiers. They are knockoffs, that do not contain the same internal components.

As a consumer, I would never purchase one of those amps.  IMO they are in the same bucket as fake Rolex watches and counterfeit recordings of movies and music.  I just doesn't sit well with me to promote or support unscrupulous activities, such as someone apparently infringing on others intellectual property.  Obviously, the person in China can manufacture an amplifier.  Why not go one step further, and actually design one they can call their own?

KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »

I am glad we got to the bottom of this saga. I suppose the US Distributor finally received a response from OM Power direct, which was something they were working on when I called earlier.

As knockoffs go, this one is pretty impressive, all the way down to the LOGO on the front panel, and identical component placement on the CCA's Smiley
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »

But hey it might be better than using a CB RM Italy amplifier on the ham bands!

An anonymous individual that can not resist taking a cheap shot, having nothing to do with the topic.

John
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »

How short our memories are.... or perhaps most here are younger than I am.

This is exactly the same procedure the Japanese used when they entered the world market after WWII!  They copied everything American and sold it to us cheaper.  The initial offerings are what created the phrase, "Japanese Junk!"

The Chinese apparently learned this lesson and is applying it although from what few things I've bought from mainland China via eBay is of better quality than what the Japanese first offered us.

I predict that we're going to see a tremendous influx of inexpensive 144/440 HTs and then perhaps amplifiers and then transceivers.  I also predict these products will be of pretty decent quality.  The Japanese are in for some serious competition.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »

Maybe TenTec should import these directly and pay the custom/duty fees and put their own name/logo on them  then everybody would be happy.
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 05:05:33 AM »

Ten Tec's trail-friendly QRP rig is an import. They sell it but I'm not sure they put their logo on it. It is similar to MFJ's offering. Probably came out of the same factory.

I have little sympathy for the Japanese companies, after what they did to the American manufacturers. They made their money; now they can get out.

One way of looking at it is we already have a Chinese line of linear amplifiers- Ameritron. Assembled in Mississippi with lots of foreign content.

The good old days were just that- good and old. Manufacturing in the U.S. will continue to downtrend regardless of how much public money is wasted on it.

You've got to look ahead even if the future is unclear or doesn't look so good.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »

What is the track record on Chinese RF tubes?? I bought a used AL1500 that thankfully had an Eimac tube in it. Ameritron always offers a Chinese tube for about $250 some dollars cheaper.
I looked at MFJ/Ameritron and they only offer the Eimac tube for that amp. sooooo...

Reading other replies here about buying in-country and pack it as baggage home is not goodness either. I traveled to the Philippines with a simple Kenwood TS50 and there was a stink at the Philippine baggage check-in, when we were leaving the country after a 2 mos stay. They opened all of our bags. Even though I had my Reciprocal license and serial # etc etc there were questions. They almost confiscated the radio. Two-way equipment or communication stuff is watched closely...A new computer in a box would be another problem. CUSTOMS want money!!!
Fred
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:56:22 AM by KC4MOP » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »

One way of looking at it is we already have a Chinese line of linear amplifiers- Ameritron. Assembled in Mississippi with lots of foreign content.

The good old days were just that- good and old. Manufacturing in the U.S. will continue to downtrend regardless of how much public money is wasted on it.

Well, looking inside my Ameritron, there's obviously a bunch of little components (diodes, resistors, etc.) that was almost certainly made in China. I also happen to know it has Chinese 811A's in it. None of the above are labeled "made in China" but I would be very surprised if they hadn't been made in China.

If some of the above had been made in the US, well, great.

But there's also a lot of sheet metal, a big-ass transformer, etc. I'm pretty sure these were made in the USA. Probably in Starkville or nearby. I also know the amp's designer, and I know for sure he wasn't made in China.

In no way, shape, or form do I think of my Ameritron as a "Chinese amp".

At the same time, my wife has a 2006 Toyota, and I think of that as a Japanese car despite the fact that probably 80% of it was made in the USA :-)

Tim.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »

An item that I failed to mention in my previous post was that after the term "Japanese Junk" became firmly entrenched in the American vocabulary, the Japanese government decided that in order for them to succeed, this would have to be turned around.  They made it a law that anything exported had to meet government set minimum standards of quality.  

Consequently, the quality of Japanese goods improved and the Japanese economy skyrocketed.  Japan has become a world leader for quality goods.

The Chinese will learn this lesson much faster than the Japanese.  The day when the Chinese government institutes similar standards is in sight.  I predict that we will see an improvement in the quality of Chinese transmitting tubes as well as the rest of their exports.  

It would be a simple matter to corner the market for transmitting tubes if indeed the quality was improved.  They're almost there as it is.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: