Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Ham Reception Report?  (Read 9603 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »

Would there be much call for a guy like myself who just runs HF receivers to give CQ reception reports here?
Like for example, I just heard at 20:43utc in 10 meters a WN9VMR very strong signal out of Chicago calling CQ (not sure exact freq as I caught him on the old boatanchor)
Very good signal like he was here in Ca.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »

I'm no expert in this, but I know I for one would appreciate a reception report from an SWL regardless of circumstances.  If I'm in QSO with someone, great.  If not, also great.  My signal is my signal, whether I'm saying "Thanks, you're 59, my name is Bob" or "CQ DX CQ DX this is Whiskey Papa 2 Xray Xray".

Cheers,

Bob WP2XX
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »

That's good to know. I figure my report is just as good as far as how well he's getting out. Nobody came back to him after 3 calls, but he made the trip Chicago to Frisco real strong, just doesn't know lol. Thanks for the reply-73
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »

Listen during the 4th of July holiday for 13 Colonies Special Event Stations.  Stations will provide an SWL with a QSL card for a reception report, with SASE, of a logged contact.  Also, SWLs can apply for an event certificate for a report from one or more colony states.

http://www.13colonies.info/
http://www.13colonies.info/SWLandDX.htm

Dennis KG4RUL
13 Colonies Station from South Carolina
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

Hey that's pretty neat thanks for putting it out there:)
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:21:25 AM »

Yup.  I've gotten several SWL QSL cards since moving down here.  As long as you do what I ask on my QRZ entry, I don't care if it's a ham or SWL card, you'll get one in return.

Bob WP2XX
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »

Huh-I never thought of QSL cards-what I had in mind was to just have a thread in here where we can post up what hams we heard making a decent distance trip. I am not sure what you all would deem a respectable distance-but in my opinion, hearing a ham station @ over 1800 miles putting out a better signal with a fraction of the power of a SWBC station running 100,000 watts and about the same distance, maybe deserves a mention, especially when they got no response from another ham. I realize not all hams frequent these forums, but maybe some of you who transmit on HF might want to know you made the trip to Northern Ca.
Just this am I heard two hams QSOing in the 20 meters in Tennessee @ 1900 miles @ 5 by 7 both. They were reporting to each other 5 by 9 copys.
I dunno-though it'd be kinda cool:) I also realize that with signals like those, most of you shhot for overseas.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:39:23 AM by HFCRUSR » Logged
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »

A long time ago, before I became a ham myself, (i'm way beyond eligible for QCWA now) I used to SWL all over the place. Including the ham bands. I would send reception reports on an SWL QSL card to the hams that I heard, and I always got a card in return. In fact, I don't ever recall not getting a QSL card in return from a licensed ham while I was an SWL.

I still have those cards today, and they are still hanging on the wall.

If a person who was an SWL sent me a card, I'd definitely send him one in return if my log book matched what he reported. Or even if it was close to matching my log book.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »

Huh-I never thought of QSL cards-what I had in mind was to just have a thread in here where we can post up what hams we heard making a decent distance trip.

I like the idea. There is already a SWL forum, maybe the Admins could break it down to "HAM" and BROADCAST" sub-forums.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:13 AM »

Quite a few SWL cards have been sent to me over the years, and I really enjoy receiving them.  Most seem to be from Europe.  I always send return QSL's 100%.  If you get some cards printed up and send out, you likely will receive a good response.   John.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

Thanks for the replies-I thought it'd be a cool thing to get going in here. The card thing is the proper way I gather but I'm so cheap I don't wanna pay postage lol Tongue
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 06:14:58 AM »

SWL reports are pretty rare for most hams.  I especially enjoy getting reports/comments  on some of the more challenging bands:
6 meters
60 meters
160 meters.

Good luck.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »

Huh-I never thought of QSL cards-what I had in mind was to just have a thread in here where we can post up what hams we heard making a decent distance trip. I am not sure what you all would deem a respectable distance-but in my opinion, hearing a ham station @ over 1800 miles putting out a better signal with a fraction of the power of a SWBC station running 100,000 watts and about the same distance, maybe deserves a mention, especially when they got no response from another ham. I realize not all hams frequent these forums, but maybe some of you who transmit on HF might want to know you made the trip to Northern Ca.
Just this am I heard two hams QSOing in the 20 meters in Tennessee @ 1900 miles @ 5 by 7 both. They were reporting to each other 5 by 9 copys.
I dunno-though it'd be kinda cool:) I also realize that with signals like those, most of you shhot for overseas.

just my opinion, but it sounds to me like you'd make a good ham and you'd like it.  have you looked into the possibility of getting a ham license?
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

thanks for the replies and thanks K9AIM for the kind comment. It would seem that I'm setting in the driver seat with the motor running but won't throw her in gear and get a moveon. I always loved radios and my last couple years of working, I expounded upon the SWL shack to wind up with a pretty nice one that gave many nice evenings of diversion after a hard day's work. Now its my main go-to for boredom killing lol. Due to health circumstances, I was early-retired 2 years now and am still thinking of making that move. I only wish I could just jump straight into HF and join the guys in the 60 meters that I put on every night. No doubt I would have a helluva passion for it as I do with SWL/HF rx.
Bottom line is yeah:)
Thanks-73, Frank
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »

hamtestonline.com is about as cheap ($25) as buying license study manuals, but makes learning the material fun while also giving you solid info as to when you are ready to take -- and PASS -- a given ham exam.  plus you can try it for free, it just limits the available features till you buy the whole gig.   i highly recommend trying it out, even if you decide not to get a ham license.  some of the material will help you in your SWL endeavors.
you can read reviews of it here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3412

btw, here is a good read about propagation: http://www.infotechcomms.co.uk/Understanding_LF_and_HF_propagation.pdf

good luck to you and hope to see you on the air somewhere down the log . 

update: upon further review, the propagation material presented above was more technical than i thought -- i had read a more basic handling of HF propagation but have apparently lost the link.  maybe someone else has one they will share...

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:49:15 AM by K9AIM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: