Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another signalink usb/ yaesu ft450d problem  (Read 7462 times)
M6TXP

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

hi there
I have a signalink usb connected to the data port on my yaesu ft450d into a windows 7/64bit laptop and use dm780 software
I have tried everything to get it to receive or transmit, i have tried everything in the instructions in the slusb, radio and laptop settings etc To get it to receive in in dm780 i had to plug the mono cable into the slusb speaker socket to the 450d ext speaker socket and this started the waterfall working with psk31 signals
I also have the slusb header socket instead of jumper wires so it is wired correctly and everything is configured properly
Also the signalink transmits and the ptt red led lights up and clicks but the 450d does not transmit and stays in receive
What is the correct way to set the radio and signalink up as this is driving me crazy as i have been told i should not have to use the mono cable to receive
Any help from anyone with my setup or anyone who knows would be greatly appreciated
Paddy (M6TXP)
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »

100 veiws / 0 help
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

The fact that the red tx led on the SignaLink lights is an indication that the software is sending tones to the Signalink. The fact that you get a waterfall indication when you plug the cable into the speaker jack is an indication that the Signalink is sending tones back to the software okay. It appears to me that you do not have the Signalink properly connected to the transceiver. You have no PTT connection (it stays in receive even thought the PTT relay in the Signalink is keying) and you have no receive audio connection. You may or may not have a transmit audio connection (you wouldn't know with PTT not working).

How are you connecting the Signalink to the transceiver? Are you using a cable supplied by Tigertronics? Make sure you have the proper cable and the proper jumper for your transceiver make/model. If it is indeed the proper cable and jumper then you may need to explain your symptoms to Tigertronics and get them to send you another set to try. It's possible that you have a defective cable or jumper.
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »

Thanks for the reply AA4PB  Grin
I have the cables supplied by tigertronics and they connect through the 6 pin data port on the back of the 450d
I also tried with the jumper links even bought the slhead module instead of using jumper wires and it still wont work
properly
I connected everything to the instructions and still no joy, the data cable is supposed to cut the audio out on the 450d but it does not and i get no activity in the waterfall on dm780 using psk31
But when i put the mono cable in the ext spk socket of the 450d to the spk socket in the slusb the audio cuts out on the 450d and then i get activity on the waterfall in dm780, i can adjust the receive signal by using the volume on the 450d but it still wont transmit.
I phoned waters and stanton here in the uk and the shop engineer agreed that it should not work out that way and said to send it
back to the shop as it sounds like the data cable could be faulty, i have sent it back to the shop so will see what happens.
I have done everything to the 450d, computer and slusb to the book and i was at the end of my tether, i expect a little difficulty but
this just took the biscuit considering it is supposed to be easy to set up
Hopefully someone with the same set up will help out here but i am lost to how it just refused to work
paddy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

I just took a look at the 450D manual on line. Are you sure that you had the mode set to USER-U as described on P.73? If you have normal USB selected (like you would use for voice) then I think the data jack is disabled.
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

Yes had it on user-u for usb data modes as this is what you select when you use the data socket and still no joy
Like i said i done everything to the instructions, some people use the digivox option in the 450d but it is not needed as the slusb has an internal vox built in
Lets hope w+s have something good to say (fingers crossed)
Paddy
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply AA4PB  Grin
I have the cables supplied by tigertronics and they connect through the 6 pin data port on the back of the 450d
I also tried with the jumper links even bought the slhead module instead of using jumper wires and it still wont work
properly
I connected everything to the instructions and still no joy, the data cable is supposed to cut the audio out on the 450d but it does not and i get no activity in the waterfall on dm780 using psk31
But when i put the mono cable in the ext spk socket of the 450d to the spk socket in the slusb the audio cuts out on the 450d and then i get activity on the waterfall in dm780, i can adjust the receive signal by using the volume on the 450d but it still wont transmit.
I phoned waters and stanton here in the uk and the shop engineer agreed that it should not work out that way and said to send it
back to the shop as it sounds like the data cable could be faulty, i have sent it back to the shop so will see what happens.
I have done everything to the 450d, computer and slusb to the book and i was at the end of my tether, i expect a little difficulty but
this just took the biscuit considering it is supposed to be easy to set up
Hopefully someone with the same set up will help out here but i am lost to how it just refused to work
paddy

I have an FT-450, but not a SignaLink.  So take this FWIW:

First, make sure your PSK31 software is set to use the Signalink's sound card.  That should show up as a "USB Generic Codec" on the list of available soundcards.  Two settings must be made -- one for TX (from the computer), one for RX (from the computer).

1.  If the rig is in DATA mode, and menu item "D TYPE" is "USER-U", it should be taking modulation input from the 6-pin DATA jack.

2.  The Signalink _does not_ "cut off audio" from the FT-450.  It uses the "DATA OUT" pin on the rig to get an AF (received) signal, which should show up on your waterfall display.  That output level is _independent_ of the setting of the FT-450's "AF Gain" knob.

. . . If you don't have signals on your waterfall with the "AF Gain" set to 0,
. . . check the software's RX soundcard -- it may be taking its input from the computer's microphone.

3.  If the "TX" light on the Signalink is lighting up, the SignaLink is getting TX audio from the computer, and closing its PTT "switch".  If the rig's "TX" light _isn't_ lighting up when that happens:

. . . Check the connections inside the SignaLink;

. . . check the cable from SignaLink to rig -- particularly the PTT line -- for continuity.

4.  "Digital VOX" works well on the FT-450, but the menu item "DIG VOX" must be set very high -- 98 - 100.   If the Signalink PTT switching isn't working, use the "DIG VOX" on the FT-450 instead.

5.  To test whether the Signalink is sending audio to the rig:

. . . Unplug the rear-panel DATA plug;

. . . Put headphones across the pins for "DATA IN" and 'GND' on the plug.

You should hear PSK31 signals, when you put the software into "TX" mode.

I see you've sent the SignaLink back -- so use this for future reference.

.       Charles
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »

If moving the cable to the internal sound card works without making any changes at the computer, that means you have the wrong sound card selected in the software.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

If the software had the wrong sound device selected, the tx light on the Signalink would not light and he wouldn't get a waterfall indication by connecting the radio's speaker output to the signalink speaker jack.

Clearly, the software is communicating with the Signalink. The issue is the connection between the signalink and the radio's data jack.
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »

Hi Phil
I changed the card to usb codec in the dm780 software and done everything to the book
Like AA4PB said the fault seems to be with the data cable between the radio and the signalink or the socket with the jumper wires
But my guess would be the cable, hope my 450d is not faulty it,s only 12 months old  Shocked
Paddy
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »

Double checking your connections inside the SignaLink...

I have the same cable going into first my Yaesu 857D and now my IC-746Pro. The small diameter 6 pin din appears to be an industry standard. (amazingly enough)

Here's my internal pinout...

SPK to pin 4
MIC to pin 1
PTT to pin 3
G to pin 2

Make sure the wires go all the way in. It's easy to leave one in the hole but loose.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:36:49 PM by N4CR » Logged

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »

Hi Phil
I done all that and it was still not working, then i bought the slhead module that plugs in to avoid using jumper wires and
it still would not work. the fault seems to be inbetween the radio and signalink
Got to say i am not impressed with the signalink usb, hopefully i will hear from W+S soon
Hope someone with the same set up as me could chime in as i would like to know how they set the 450d up (user-u etc)
paddy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »

I've used a SignaLink-USB with my IC756PRO for a long time and it's always worked great. I got one shortly after they were released - had to wait about two months to get it. At that time they didn't sell jumpers or cables so had to build my own. I think once you get the cable situation corrected you will be very happy with it.
M6TXP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »

Lets hope it is a cable or something that can be resolved, when i got it to rx with the mono cable it received ok
Emailing tigertronics was a waste of time as i typed a message out for 15minutes and when i pressed send it would
not work, come up something about spelling mistake and some other croc of crap and it is too expensive to phone
them from here in the uk
seems tigertronics are bad luck to me Angry
Paddy
KJ4YAC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »

Maybe try different sw?  Digipan? Easy setup and bulletproof.

GL & 73
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: