Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancelling deceased fatrhers call sign  (Read 6723 times)
KD2DBM

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »

My father, N0OVR, passed away in January 1,2013. I was wondering how I go about geting his call sign cancelled, and how I would go about getting assigned his call? Can this even be done or do I have to wait the remaing time (9 years) his call is active and then the 2 year waiting period before it becomes available in order to get the call as a vanity call myself? Thanks in advance.

Bill, KD2DBM
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:33:31 PM by KD2DBM » Logged
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/cancelling-a-license

also...(from http://www.arrl.org/vanity-call-signs )

Availability of Call Signs Assigned to Stations of Deceased Licensees

• The FCC has codified that a signed request for license cancellation
        accompanied by a copy of a death certificate, an obituary or data
        from the Social Security Death Index [SSDI] that shows the date of
        death is necessary to cancel the license of a deceased amateur.
  • The FCC clarified the rules to provide that the two year waiting period
        starts on the licensee’s date of death.
  • A call sign that is canceled due to the death of a licensee more than
        two years earlier, or within 30 days before the second anniversary of
        the licensee’s death, will remain unavailable to the vanity call sign
        system for 30 days following the date the staff takes action to cancel
        the license.

and ...

Exceptions to the Two Year Waiting Period

• Former Holders of the Call Sign: A former holder of the call sign is exempt
        from the general rule that a call sign shown on an expired, surrendered,
        revoked, set aside, canceled or voided license is unavailable to the vanity
        call sign system for two years.
  • “Close Relatives” of the Licensee: The term “in-law” includes “only a parent,
        step-parent, sibling, or step-sibling of a licensee’s spouse; and the spouse
        of a licensee’s sibling, step-sibling, child, or stepchild; or the spouse of a
        licensee’s spouse’s sibling or step-sibling.” The other “close relatives” are
        the deceased former holder’s spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren,
        parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, stepbrothers, stepsisters,
        aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.
  • “In Memoriam” Call Signs: One exception to the two year waiting period
        applies to licenses for club stations who request the call sign of a deceased
        licensee when the club station trustee has the written consent of a close relative
        of the deceased. The FCC codified that the decedent’s club membership need
        not be current at the time of his or her death, as long as the decedent was a
        bona fide member of the club at some time during his or her life.

73 & condolences,
Chris VA3CDG
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:17:00 PM by VA3CDG » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:05:26 AM »

As I understand it, all you have to do is to send in a copy of your dad's death certificate with a request that the license be cancelled.  Then you have to send in a copy of your birth certificate with your father's name specified on it or some other proof that you and he are father and son along with a vanity call sign request for your father's call sign.

I believe the two have to be separate filings with the reassignment request sent in only after the cancellation request has been acted on--I could be wrong.

Condolences to you and your family, and 73.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:34:10 AM »

So merging this all together...

1. Any kind of letter to the FCC with suitable proof of death will get the callsign/license cancelled. It does not have to be a death certificate--VA3DCG lists the types of proof acceptable.

2. Wait 30 days after the cancellation occurs.

3. Submit a vanity request for the call, using the "close relative" option. You do NOT have to submit proof of being a relative with the application, but the FCC can request it. Watch the progress of your app on the ULS site to see if it's put on hold for any reason.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:01:56 AM »

No.  If you wait the 30 days after the callsign has been officially cancelled, someone else could get it before you, even though that's unlikely.  No, just wait until the FCC database records the callsign as cancelled, THEN submit your vanity application with the proof that you are a close relative and request the callsign as your own.  BTW, if you submit proof of relation to the deceased, it may speed the processing of the application.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:08:09 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »

No.  If you wait the 30 days after the callsign has been officially cancelled, someone else could get it before you, even though that's unlikely.  No, just wait until the FCC database records the callsign as cancelled, THEN submit your vanity application with the proof that you are a close relative and request the callsign as your own.  BTW, if you submit proof of relation to the deceased, it may speed the processing of the application.

With all due respect, that is not correct.

1. Since his father died in January of 2013, the call won't be available to anyone other than close relatives (or clubs in memoriam, with family approval) until 2015, so there is no risk in waiting.

2. The new rules (as quoted by VA3CDG) do NOT include a provision for a "close relative" to "jump" the 30-day wait. They simply state that the call is not available to the vanity program. Since there is no qualifier, the implication is that it applies to ALL vanity apps. A "close relative" app is only an exception to the two-year wait.

3. If the FCC is going to bother to ask for proof of being a relative, it's possible that including it with the initial application may eliminate one step. But I doubt that there will be much contention for an N 1x3--most of the serious issues with potentially-fraudulent close relative vanity apps deal with scarcer 1x2 calls. And given that the deceased and the applicant have the same surname, I don't expect any problems.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

1. Since his father died in January of 2013, the call won't be available to anyone other than close relatives (or clubs in memoriam, with family approval) until 2015, so there is no risk in waiting.

2. The new rules (as quoted by VA3CDG) do NOT include a provision for a "close relative" to "jump" the 30-day wait. They simply state that the call is not available to the vanity program. Since there is no qualifier, the implication is that it applies to ALL vanity apps. A "close relative" app is only an exception to the two-year wait....

I concede the point--I missed the two year delay entirely, and I didn't look closely enough at the date of his dad's passing.  HOWEVER....

The FCC will cancel the license as of the date of his dad's death.  Now I do see that the regs specify in one part "the date the action is taken" in regard to the cancellation, but the way I see it it may well be a grey area that may need interpretation.  I've also seen the result where the cancellation and the vanity application documents have been sent in together.  In one instance, the vanity filing was returned with a note saying the call sign status must be updated before the application would be acted on--with no mention of 30 days, and in another, both actions were completed within a week!

However, I also saw something here about 'new rules', and both those instances were at least a couple of years ago--so I'll concede that you probably are right.  73!
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »

Chris -

Yes, everything changed just about two years ago. It used to be that callsigns became immediately available upon retroactive cancellations (where the death occurred more than two years earlier), so the common practice was to submit for the cancellation and apply immediately, "betting" that the cancellation would be processed prior to the vanity app. And if the cancellation did NOT occur on time, the FCC would dismiss the vanity app for precisely the reason you stated.

That all changed when WT Docket 09-209 was implemented, effective in Feb 2011. The rules now state that any cancellation due to the death of the licensee imposes a minimum 30-day wait after cancellation before the call is available to the vanity program, even if the date of death is more than two years ago. The sole exception is if the cancellation occurs less than 30 days prior to the natural expiration date of the license; in that case, the call becomes available on the day after the expiration date.

Since the FCC DID inject one (and only one) exception case explicitly, I concluded that no other exception case (like the close relative situation) applies.

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: