Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-718 no transmit in CW mode  (Read 3480 times)
W8GEL

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

I just purchased a "like new" IC-718 on eBay, and I cannot get transmit in CW mode.  I am using a straight key, but have also tried the mic U/D buttons as a paddle.  I can hear the side tone but the transceiver stays in receive mode, there is no RF output and the TX indicator does not come on when I key down.  Works fine in USB/LSB and RTTY.  I suspect something in software or perhaps a mod that inhibits this mode?  Any ideas?

Gary, KC4FN
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

Check page 31 of the manual...did you set the break-in to semi or full?  Or is it turned off?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W8GEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »

I have tried full, semi, and off. With break-in OFF, there is no muting at all of the receive function during key down, and no TX, but the side tone can be heard. In FULL break-in, the RX mutes during key down, but still no TX.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »

. . . Are you transmitting within the limits of a ham band?

If not, the rig might mute RX, say "Oops- - I'm not allowed to transmit on 6.990!", and _not_ light the TX light.

Aside from that, you seem to be doing everything right.  Weird . . .

.           Charles

PS -- if it works in SSB and RTTY, and you didn't change the CW frequency, that suggestion is a red herring.

PPS -- the next stop is a "factory default reset" -- check the manual, there should be a way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:48:23 PM by VA7CPC » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »

Did you try a reset?
W8GEL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:07:58 AM »

Did a complete CPU reset this morning to bring back all factory defaults.  No difference. When I configure it for my LDG tuner, it will correctly go into CW mode and key for the tuning cycle. I can also key the tx with the PTT button on the mic (while in CW mode). But when using the actual key, either the straight key, or a paddle (using U/D buttons on the mic) I get only side tone and not TX.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »

Does it transmit in any other mode?  Is the problem limited to one band?  Check all combinations of bands and modes.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »

Did you try turing on VOX??
W8GEL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »

Transmits in LSB, USB, RTTY, and AM on all ham bands.  Will not key CW in ANY band.  Yes, the CW TX parameter is ON in the INIT SETUP. VOX makes no difference.
N9ZVV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »

Is the key plugged in all the way? Just checkin'

Jeff
N9ZVV
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:05:17 AM »

Transmits in LSB, USB, RTTY, and AM on all ham bands.  Will not key CW in ANY band.  Yes, the CW TX parameter is ON in the INIT SETUP. VOX makes no difference.

Sometimes it the simple things:

Did you try putting an ohm meter accross the key plug with key down to verify that the there is continuity?
Did you verify that it is connected as per the IC718 instructions?
Did your key ever work in that radio?
if so, perhaps the jack has bad solder connections or the jack itself has failed, or the keyer circuit has died.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:16 AM »

Take a look at this thread, 4th post down. Apparently there is an undocumented menu setting where you can disable Tx of any mode.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=68193.0

Also, if you set CW for no break-in, you need to short pins 2 & 3 on the ACC jack.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:17:23 AM by KJ6AMF » Logged
W8GEL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »

All, please note above, that I get SIDETONE when my key is used, as well as when the alternate keying method of Up/Down buttons on the mic are used as a keyer. So it is not a continuity problem. Also, I am aware of the config option where you can enable or disable transmit of any mode.  That config item has been checked and set more than once.  I think I have a legitimate problem that I need to discuss with Icom.  I have not used their Tech suppport before.  Do they charge for telephone consultation if out of warranty?

Gary, KC4FN
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »

Check out the procedure given by KD4DIY in http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=87570.new;topicseen#new
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

There is a menu setting on the 718 that allows transmit of CW/SSB.  I cannot remember if it is in the quick menu, or the hard set menu.  Get in the hard set first, and scroll thru each setting.  I think it might just jump out at you when you see it.  I think the menu item is listed in the manual, page 44, "Set Mode"..try that and see if that helps.

Good Luck!   de N3JJT  Scott
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: