Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jeep wrangler atas 120a antenna mounting location  (Read 2375 times)
KK4NQM

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

I have a jeep jk and I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount a Yaesu Atas-120A. I have a roof rack above a soft top the roof rack is on a mount that lets it swivel back to allow the soft top to be lowered. I was thinking of mounting it on the roof rack but I don't know if that would be to high for this antenna. I can use all the ideas I can get.
Thanks
N7PHL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

I have a '97 Cherokee with an ATAS 120 mounted on the right top corner (side) of the rear cargo door. It's been there for years. The bottom of the antenna is practically even with the roof.

If you have a spare tire mounted on the rear door you might consider constructing a mount on the center of the tire carrier mount.

Where ever you decide make sure you have a good ground from the mount/antenna to your Jeep frame.

Phil
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »

I don't think your folding roof rack will provide a good ground plane.  Others have mounted them on the spare tire mounting frame.  Still others have used a mount off the front fender.  If you haven't checked out K0BG's mobile page (http://www.k0bg.com/) I suggest you do so.  The Atas 120 is not a real efficient antenna so it needs the best ground it can get.  It also has some weatherproofing issues you might want to deal with before you mount it.  Google Atas 120 and you'll find discussions of that
KK4NQM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

Hi Phil thanks for the info, does yours work good at that location and how high above the roof does it sit. I was thinking of mounting it behind the spare tire but I read that it would be a bad location there are 2 mounts available for the jk spare tire and over the tail light but having the metal roof rack I thought would decrease its performance.
N7PHL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »

The coil sets pretty much even with the roof top. So I get a pretty good ground plane that way. If you have a rag top I don't know how that would work out. Except that a good ground should give you a pretty good signal from the entire Jeep, and maybe better off the hood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: