Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the next big topic here?  (Read 3534 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

Awfully quiet here these days!

What do you think will be the next big development that will get us all talking again?

New SDR release
Upgrade of so etching existing?

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »

1. That Apache Labs SDR set

2. The arrival of the first 6XXX models from Flex

3. DoD procurement of SDR
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2013-01-11/us-army-plans-acquire-software-defined-radios-helo-fleets

4. Government research
http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/28114?c=disaster_preparedness_emergency_response

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:41 AM »

Then next big thing if someone does it will be this.

Beam forming and steering done in DSP.

A radio with built in direction finding algorithm, something like MUSIC or Esprit.  Better for most hams would be a  SSL DF system. Thats single site location DF. You can get a fix on station just using your own DF antennas rather
than relying on a network of stations. Both models of direction finding will work well with ham operators. It would be nice to DF all the idiots and know exactly what street they are in.

You can read about a good system here

http://www.roke.co.uk/locate/

As you can see the only platform that can get close to the capabilities of the above is the new Flex6000. They would have to pay a lot of attention the finer design details like disabling the AGC and using perfectly phase coherent
receivers. These DF systems are a lot of fun to play around with!

The next that  I would like to see is  that the transceiver have a IONSONDE capability. It would be nice just to trying and work out what the ionosphere is doing by doing the measurements of ionospheric height myself. You would need this capability if you using the above mentioned DF system. Although you can use ionosphere models. There are hams already playing around with HF radar.

The problem is that ham companies are stuck in the rut. Look at the new Kenwood radio all old technology with a new face, a pig with lipstick. We not getting  what technology can deliver today like
Direct Sampling /DUC and adaptive predistortion  PA's. What we getting is  30 year technology repackaged. You  cant even a calibrated S-meter for 10, 000 dollars! This is  how backward the  ham companies are in
forward and future thinking. Implementing  some of the above can be done for a reasonable costs if they actually were sincere about pulling it off.

Anyway keep on dreaming, maybe some new Chinese upstart will show  the current ham manufacturers  how to do it. They might be afraid of all the  ear bashing  they get here if they dont stick to producing 40 year old technology in a
new package. They can only seem to sell nostalgic old rubbish like  old analog radio dials. Why knows we might soon see a spark transceiver in a carbon fiber case with TFT screen, what the hell its new and very old!

Awfully quiet here these days!

What do you think will be the next big development that will get us all talking again?

New SDR release
Upgrade of so etching existing?

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »

Good one, ZENKI.  We already know beam forming can be done with phased arrays (Ticonderoga AEGIS cruisers with SPY-1 radar is a great example).  And we can manually do diversity receiving with multiple receivers in teh same rig.

It would be REALLY cool if we could construct an antenna array and use the SDR to do the steering and delays.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »

Certainly could make interesting conversation, that is truly the potential when we think in terms of true software defined radio.  I'd like to see a real and robust open source offering that is module and plugin based, al ost like Joomla or Drupal is to CMS.  Those things that have been mentioned could be plugins.

KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

Good one, ZENKI.  We already know beam forming can be done with phased arrays (Ticonderoga AEGIS cruisers with SPY-1 radar is a great example).  And we can manually do diversity receiving with multiple receivers in teh same rig.

It would be REALLY cool if we could construct an antenna array and use the SDR to do the steering and delays.

A couple of years back I was working on some MF/HF DF equipment with one of the larger companies in my area. One of the products I had the chance to test drive was made by SWRI (Southwest Research Institute).

This product was in essence a SDR with a five element phased array which was constructed with Shakespeare Monopoles. Also within the same system they had a very nice "Chirp Sounder" and RX which was used to measure the height of the ionosphere.

I recall fondly sitting in the equipment room using known amateur transmissions to validate the system. You would be surprised how accurate the system was, and it really did not have all that many moving parts!

I think it will not be long before we see these types of systems available at a price hams can afford.

Rich, AJ3G
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

The problem is that ham companies are stuck in the rut. Look at the new Kenwood radio all old technology with a new face, a pig with lipstick.
What I hope to see is rapid development to production cycles with open source (hardware and software) concepts.  Elecraft, and Flex seem to have faster concept to market cycles than Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu.  Yet, they are still slow compared to the technology standards of today.  The Funcube dongle plus SDR is an example of a second generation product moving from an engineer's concept to product quickly, all done with essentially a one person company out of a home office.

Now Apache Labs takes open source community developed ideas and produces products quickly.  However they are an unknown company as of this time.  But, it is a good business model to take a free design, and worry only about how to produce it quickly and cheaply.

It would seem that there are now opportunities for very small companies, even some located back in the USA to actually out compete huge manufacturers.

Thus, I would be excited to see ideas birthed in the open source user community, that move to a product we can buy at a reasonable price within months of the idea, that would soon become yesterdays news as a result of a avalanche of cutting edge products available on the market.  This would produce in turn an avalanche of big topics here.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

K1LT is doing this on 160m (for receiving) and has an article about it. See:

http://www.k1lt.com/

To do an ionosonde you really want to be able to transmit wideband RF. That is a problem because amateurs can transmit
only with narrow frequency bands.

Tor
N4OGW
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

That is true Tor, and the wideband amplifier was a huge cost driver on the project.  I always wondered if you could just ionosonde the band of interest, and get a decent fix on the station. Of course, this would be somewhat Illigal too..   

The other way I thought about was to have someone else (i.e. the government) setup the ionosounde and then post the data on the internet. You could then download the data much like Keplarian Elements.

Rich
NK2F

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »

Then next big thing if someone does it will be this.

Beam forming and steering done in DSP.

A radio with built in direction finding algorithm, something like MUSIC or Esprit.  Better for most hams would be a  SSL DF system. Thats single site location DF. You can get a fix on station just using your own DF antennas rather
than relying on a network of stations. Both models of direction finding will work well with ham operators. It would be nice to DF all the idiots and know exactly what street they are in.

You can read about a good system here

http://www.roke.co.uk/locate/

As you can see the only platform that can get close to the capabilities of the above is the new Flex6000. They would have to pay a lot of attention the finer design details like disabling the AGC and using perfectly phase coherent
receivers. These DF systems are a lot of fun to play around with!

[/quote]

Take a look at Afedri. It does two receivers that can be locked in any phase. The baseband software produces a single IQ stream that is the processed sum of the two channels. All done on board in hardware.
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

Zenki & all...
The work has already progressed on direction finding SDR.  Over two years ago, K5SO began work on the project, and K1RQG (sk) implemented his system with a simple 3-vertical triangle array, through several iterations.  K5SO has continued his work with multiple receiver setups on the HPSDR platform. 
Adding a chirpsounder would make the system even more fun.  And with the foundation work done, you don't have to start from scratch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: