Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One use for ALC light on ALS-600 for non ALC users  (Read 431 times)
W4PM

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »

I use my ALS-600 amp with a Tec Tec Paragon which has no ALC input.  I normally use CW only so really have no use for feeding ALC back to the transceiver even if I could.  So what good is the ALC light and control on the front panel of the amp?  

I found a use for it.  It makes a dandy power out indicator.  I normally run my amp at 400 watts out so I set the front panel control at 4 and adjusted the rear panel control so that 400 watts out just causes the yellow ALC light to blink.  Now when I turn on the amp I set the ALC SET control to 4, turn the transceiver power control down, turn on the amp and start keying.  I advance the power out on the Paragon until the light just starts blinking.  I find this is quicker responding and easier to see than looking at the output meter on the amp.

I've found this is accurate on all bands.  At a setting of 1.5 on the ALC control the light blinks at 200 watts - just right for 30 meters in the USA.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:36:55 PM »

The use of ALC is not strictly necessary. But... too many folks just don't understand how to drive (or drive limit as the case may be) an amplifier. Worse yet, most overdrive them regardless of any indicator, meter, led, or otherwise. In these cases, ALC helps the rest of us put up with their misguided intentions.

In any case, what you're doing is enough indication to keep IMD and splatter in line. Don't you wish EVERYBODY did?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: