Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah, Like This Is Gonna' Happen...  (Read 4630 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »

Spock built an interface using vacuum tubes and parts common to the era.
73 james

It's real. I saw it in a museum in Las Vegas:  Roll Eyes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gk1bgdv60avegb/08122008199_adjusted.jpg

Why do you think the builders of the Hoover Dam took all the time to build the star chart at the visitors' center? Because they knew Kirk and Spock would have a hard time converting our calendar to stardates.
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »

Who knows if this short clip really was from 1938.  However, Mobile/Cell 'phones existed back in 1949/50.  I have, on DVD, an episode of the "Ed Wynn" show made back then.  At one point, Mr. Wynn takes out a telephone handset from his pocket and "talks" to an ececutive from the TV network that made the program.

It's on the episode featuring the Three Stooges so you can check it out, if you don't believe me!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:46:19 PM by VK3DWZ » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 04:50:11 AM »

So............. You're saying the woman in the 1938 film clip might be talking to Ed Wynn, or that cocoanuts are migratory?

Never change a password on a Friday                
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »

So........cocoanuts are migratory?

They don't have to migrate--they could be carried!  A swallow could grip it by the husk!
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 06:06:49 AM »

The swallow could take it to the dark side of the moon where the Nazis are!!

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »

Didn't the NAZIs supposedly build some kind of "bell" machine that could transport them into the past or future?  I just hope that one day I don't find some bell in my backyard and a guy with a mustache knocking on my door!
No, it was Art BELL on late night radio, knocking on your brain!  Smiley
  Yeah, good ol' Art Bell!  What ever happened to that guy?  He seems to have time traveled right off the air!   Smiley
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »

You read that on the internet, didn't you!  Grin   Shocked

I'm so old, I remember when The History Channel had programs about history, and The Learning Channel had educational stuff.  :-( 

Don't forget the A&E channel had "Arts and Entertainment".  Actual by gosh, ballets, symphonies, plays....
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41:20 AM »

She was an alien using a communicator, not a cell phone, similar to those used in Star Trek.  According to the Star Trek Technical Manual, the ship's main computer, through which the communicator is linked, has "artificial intelligence routines" integrated in its design which "listen" for calls. These routines analyze the name of the person trying to be reached, locate that person and then "activate the audio speakers at the recipient's location," with only a slight processing delay.  The lady in the video was using a communicator like this to talk with other aliens.  I learned this while studying for my Extra exam. 

Grin

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »

She was an alien using a communicator, not a cell phone, similar to those used in Star Trek.  According to the Star Trek Technical Manual, the ship's main computer, through which the communicator is linked, has "artificial intelligence routines" integrated in its design which "listen" for calls. These routines analyze the name of the person trying to be reached, locate that person and then "activate the audio speakers at the recipient's location," with only a slight processing delay.  The lady in the video was using a communicator like this to talk with other aliens.  I learned this while studying for my Extra exam. 

Grin

That must have been  back when they still had the code requirement  Grin

KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Go to the 2:40 mark, saw this one a few years back..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:48:40 AM by KB2CPW » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Go to the 2:40 mark, saw this one a few years back..

They did have hearing aids back then which were box-like devices held to the ear which was the upgrade from the ear trumpet.
It's funny that in less than 100 years later things have changes so much that we have no frame of reference for these things.
I only know about it because my XYL's grandmother had one.
This isn't it, but an example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HEARING-AID-/160945825377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25791e6661&nma=true&si=%252FvIK%252BiswHKF7Ryw1o5aGoxPj3aE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As to why she seemed to be talking? Perhaps since this was a silent film , she was confirming off camera directions? She did stop as if she didn't know where she was supposed to go.

KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »

Didn't the NAZIs supposedly build some kind of "bell" machine that could transport them into the past or future?  I just hope that one day I don't find some bell in my backyard and a guy with a mustache knocking on my door!
No, it was Art BELL on late night radio, knocking on your brain!  Smiley
 Yeah, good ol' Art Bell!  What ever happened to that guy?  He seems to have time traveled right off the air!   Smiley

From what I have read earlier.... A few years ago, Art Bell moved to the Philippines and married a Filipino woman-(probably one of those situations where you go to that country and go to parties where you meet women who only want to get married to US and European citizens. These parties are handled by businesses there who are holding these parties for a profit....you basically "Buy" your wife).

Art Bell stated that he "was through with broadcasting for a while....."

Steve
KA1SMC (formerly KA1BIN)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »

Yes, that twilight zone episode was good, Sebastian Cabot was Pip aka Satan.

"A Nice Place to Visit" is an episode of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone
first aired on CBS on April 15, 1960.

The title comes from the saying,

"A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

73 james
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

Sure, it could happen. Remember when Kirk, Spock and McCoy traveled to the 1920s, and Spock had to rig up a communicator using...vacuum tubes?
Actually, he rigged a rather rudimentary computer so they could process and view images from his Tricorder.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: