Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah, Like This Is Gonna' Happen...  (Read 4328 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »

Found this linked on the Coast To Coast AM web site...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9Ra6EopXf1w#!

Allegedly a film clip shot in 1938 showing what could be a time traveler having a chat on a cell phone.

Yokay, let's go with that.  It's 1938.  Where's the cell tower?  What's her account number?  One?  Two?  Unlimited data / texting or just talk time?  Then there's the question of who she's talking to........ Another time traveler in 1938 - or - someone in 2008 with the Dr. Who Ultimate Roaming package?

Point being that it takes more than a cell phone to make a call on a cell phone.

Unless...............   You're calling from...............   The Twilight Zone.

Never change a password on a Friday                
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »

Sure, it could happen. Remember when Kirk, Spock and McCoy traveled to the 1920s, and Spock had to rig up a communicator using...vacuum tubes?
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »

Noooo, it wasn't' a communicator; Spock was working on a tri-corder.

The episode was "The City on the Edge of Forever". Joan goes splat.

I know this. I even spent time to comment on this. Like a Treckie.

I hate myself.

klc
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

Compact, might be a thing common then but not now, the Cigarette Case, or even a small hand purse. 

So she holds it up to the side of her jaw while walking, she wasn't talking TO it, nor listening to it. 

And, that's a correct correction about Spok and the attempt to repair the suppposedly damaged tricorder with the breadboard and vacuum tubes. 

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

hi,

Since they had no access to the computers on the Enterprise,
there was no way to slowdown the playback of the tricorder data for analysis.

Spock built an interface using vacuum tubes and parts common to the era.

"I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."

Kirk and Spock could determine the approx. time that McCoy ran into the Guardian while it was playing history, locate him to prevent damage to the timeline and return to their timeline.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever_%28episode%29

"Time has resumed its shape. All is as it was before."  - Guardian of Forever

73 james
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:20:52 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

I have customers who tell me that it says this that or the other thing on the internet.
My reply is often: Yes, and there are also sites dedicated to space aliens and Sasquatch on the internet.
So now they have expanded to video proof of time travelers in 1938!!  I'll have to mention that as well...   Grin

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »

"Legend and Wikipedia tell us ...".   - Seymour Skinner

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »

Excellent Twilight Zone this past Friday night..........

Hipster wise guy 60's kinda' guy buys the farm and ends up in heaven. Must be heaven because every bet he takes pays off, wins every game he plays, and every babe he hits on comes across for him. Guy can't lose no matter what. After a week it starts to get on his nerves because always winning is worse than always losing. There's nothing stopping you from repeating the same play that brings you no joy any more. At least when you're losing you run out of money and have to stop. With perpetual winning it's pointless to play, but you do, with hope that maybe this time will be different.

After a month he tells his handler (played by Sebastian Cabot) he can't stand heaven and really deserves to go to the other place.

Handler says:  You think you're in heaven?  Sir... YOU ARE IN THE OTHER PLACE AND CAN'T LEAVE !

I saw it coming, but it was still way cool.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »

Didn't the NAZIs supposedly build some kind of "bell" machine that could transport them into the past or future?  I just hope that one day I don't find some bell in my backyard and a guy with a mustache knocking on my door!
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

Didn't the NAZIs supposedly build some kind of "bell" machine that could transport them into the past or future?  I just hope that one day I don't find some bell in my backyard and a guy with a mustache knocking on my door!

You read that on the internet, didn't you!  Grin   Shocked

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »

Nope!  I heard it from a WW2 vet!  He probably read it on the internet.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »

No, it was Art BELL on late night radio, knocking on your brain!  Smiley
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »

The History Channel had a poor excuse of a documentary about the Nazi time-travel UFO bell machine a few months back.  I watched a few minutes of it, but it was really lame.  If it had been a high-school student's history project, he'd have gotten a C- on it.

I'm so old, I remember when The History Channel had programs about history, and The Learning Channel had educational stuff.  :-( 
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

I'm so old, I remember when The History Channel had programs about history, and The Learning Channel had educational stuff.  :-( 

I miss those days
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: