Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old UA4WHX pacific QSOs on LoTW  (Read 1553 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

I've just had some 2003 UA4WHX Pacific tour QSOs show up on LoTW. Maybe Vlad hasn't given up on LoTW after all. I guess we have to wait and see, but I thought it was interesting these showed up after he said he was done with LoTW.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why he won't use LOTW for all his QSO's? He bases his argument of not uploading because he has no control of the uploaded data and cannot edit it directly. My question would be, "Why do you need to?". If you make a mistake in your uploaded log, say you accidentally uploaded a QSO with the wrong mode, couldn't you just make the correction and then upload it again? From what I think I've seen in the past, LOTW will then make the match and give you credit.

John K7KB
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »

I don't know. But your right  - if a mistake is made you can correct it and re-upload. In any case I was hoping he would upload E40VB. But if he doesn't, our ham fest is less than 2 miles from my house. I could walk there or usually ride my bicycle. If I have any cards I need checked, I do it there.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why he won't use LOTW for all his QSO's? He bases his argument of not uploading because he has no control of the uploaded data and cannot edit it directly.

LOTW is difficult and disruptive, for those in the pay-me-for-my-QSL mindset.

Typical features of this mindset:

* Does not upload everything to LOTW but does so on a case-by-case (sometimes QSO-by-QSO) basis

* Worries that they cannot delete a past upload to LOTW in case they develop a grudge

* Complains about those who want paper QSL's but don't fork over the required GS

* IRC's good only for buro QSL, never "good enough" for direct QSL

* Complains about the anachronistic nature of paper QSL yet doesn't switch over to just uploading all their logs to LOTW
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:09:12 AM »

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why he won't use LOTW for all his QSO's? He bases his argument of not uploading because he has no control of the uploaded data and cannot edit it directly.

LOTW is difficult and disruptive, for those in the pay-me-for-my-QSL mindset.

Typical features of this mindset:

* Does not upload everything to LOTW but does so on a case-by-case (sometimes QSO-by-QSO) basis

* Worries that they cannot delete a past upload to LOTW in case they develop a grudge

* Complains about those who want paper QSL's but don't fork over the required GS

* IRC's good only for buro QSL, never "good enough" for direct QSL

* Complains about the anachronistic nature of paper QSL yet doesn't switch over to just uploading all their logs to LOTW

Maybe others, but I don't think this describes Vlad, UA4WHX.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »

Maybe you haven't seen his latest posting on the QRZ.com page:

http://www.qrz.com/db/UA4WHX

I'm sure it's no fun for Vlad to handle all those QSL duties but he doesn't have to take on the burden himself. If he so disdains sending out QSL cards then he can use LOTW and/or acquire a QSL manager. There are alternatives.

John K7KB
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »

I think his requests are fair. Many DX ops and managers have mentioned those that for some reason expect to get their cards direct and put the financial burden on the DX station. With PayPal and OQRS available there is no reason to send your cards and inundate a DX station with piles of mail that the DX station doesn't want. 

What ever his problem with LoTW is maybe it will get worked out.

But the guy has been absolutely prolific on the bands when he operates from some great places and has provided DXers with some of the nicest QSL cards I've received.

We all have to deal with many nitwits operating, I can't imagine what these people do when it comes to QSL cards.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:25:09 AM »

If a DX op puts up on his QRZ page, "QSL: Direct only, 3 GS" I have no problem.

Putting up a long byzantine series of complaints that makes me scared to even try to get a QSL, methinks he doth protest too much. I'll just get those confirmations elsewhere.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »

Getting confirmations from Vlad is a piece of cake. I might even be close to Vlad DXCC. LOTW is great, but THESE are some real QSL cards that you want to have in your collection! Beautiful photography of the local atmosphere/population. It is true, they are without a doubt the nicest QSL cards I have. Each is a piece of art, surely worth $3.

I agree with Tim, if someone makes the rules and the rules are clear up front, I have no problem doing what he says. I have no problem with him complaining, either. I wonder how many QSOs he has given out since his first expeditions years and YEARS ago? How many THOUSANDS?

paul
KB1UJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »

First off, I'll say that any amateur radio op can set any rules they want for a QSL card, or not QSL at all if they wish.  It's a hobby, not a job, and other hams are not beholden to us to do anything.  It's a privilege to talk to a lot of these overseas gentlemen who have far more invested in their stations than I can dream of having.  They do a lot of heavy lifting on their end that gets me into their logs.

I do not understand, however, why so many ops both in the US and DX complain about how "difficult" it is to use LoTW.  As you all probably know, if you're logging electronically most any program you use has LoTW upload/download built in.  You don't need to upload one QSO at a time, or sign files manually, or a lot of the other reasons I see people give for not using LoTW.  At the end of every operating session, I click one button in my logging program to update my LoTW QSL results and another to upload only my newest QSOs to LoTW.  I've done that for the last two years using various logging programs under Linux, Windows, and OSX.  Even if you like paper QSLing, there's nothing like being able to view where you stand on awards at a glance from anywhere.  I'd say at its very worst getting LoTW running is no more difficult than learning to use a transceiver properly.  

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: