Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which band would you recommend.  (Read 2395 times)
KK4MYT

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »

I am a new tech. I have a 2meter fm rig I am happy with but I am ready to do a little more than just the repeater. So I can get a 6 meter rig or a 10 meter. Which band is the best bang for the buck?
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

no doubt about it....ten is much more fun than 6.

But why not get an HF all band rig.  HF is where the fun's at. Even for listening.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

HKK is correct.  I believe that it is bad economics to buy something for just one band..... as a rule.

If you get an HF transceiver you will have access to the 10m band.  At a later date if you upgrade you will then be able to use the lower bands instead of addressing this same problem again. 

A spinoff of this is that if you start to listen to the communications on the lower bands it should spark the desire for joining in the fun.
KK4MYT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »

Thanks all. I am already itching to get my general so I can get on the lower bands I am just stuck right now and was looking at a inexpensive one band radio to get me by till I can upgrade. Was just curious which one more people like.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »

But why not get an HF all band rig.  HF is where the fun's at. Even for listening.

Many people do believe that way; no doubt about it.  BUT, not all of us.  Some years ago, I bought what I'm told was a very nice HF radio and sincerely gave HF a try.  For the most part, I found it to be boring, even though I really tried to like it (especially after spending what I did on that HF radio).  I'm not into antennas and the radio didn't need repair so what was there left to do?  Talk?  Not much into that either.
I get my enjoyment from the "hands on" aspects of radio; tinkering, modifying, repairing and the like so there wasn't much in HF for me to do.  I find much to do on VHF and up, though; not just repeaters and, definitely not just talking.
I say this, not so much to persuade anyone to follow my agenda, but as kind of a "protest" against all of those who have posted that HF is the "be all and end all" of ham radio.  Certainly, for ME, it is not. 
Now, some day that may all change and, if that happens, I may well tout the pleasures of HF.  But, in the meantime, please be aware that ham radio activities are a very personal thing.  There is no "right choice" for everyone; no "one size fits all".
You're ready to move on to a lower frequency radio.  Good!  I agree that 10 meters might be the better choice.  Generally, if there's activity on 6m there will be even more on 10m and it will also start to give you a taste of the lower bands as well.  Yes, it will be a little more costly than jumping into an all-band HF radio right away but a lot less costly, should you decide, like I did, that HF is not for you.
I offer this counterpoint as food for thought, not to try to persuade you one way or the other.  Whatever you do, find YOUR niche in the hobby and stick with it no matter what others may say is the "only way to go".
Tom
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »

10 meters would always likely have more activity than 6 would. 6 is just as much fun when it is open but that is not nearly as often as 10 would be.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »

I strongly recommend a band that's open at the time you want to get on the air.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »

DGN:  Very good points.  One of the things that makes ham radio the greatest hobby going is the many facets it presents. 

While  talking and making on-air friends has been great fun down through the years, I too got bored with it.  I found that building something and using my license to test it; use it for a bit and then go on to another project is the most fun for me.  I've never been bored with this.

But, the bottom line is you have to have something to test or use the completed item with.  That requires a transceiver, HF, VHF or whatever. 

This is the original question.  Which way to go.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

Just look for a used HTX-100 for around $100 or so.  You can always sell it for about what you paid when you eventually upgrade to the General!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

10 meters is still not open that much of the time. If you MUST get a single band radio, one of the MFJ single band SSB rigs would do -
for 15 or 20 meters if you'll be operating daytime, or 40 meters if your operating time will tend to be at night..
You'd be better off, keeping your price down, to get a radio that would do CW on several - or even a CW-only radio, like a TenTec Century 21.
Don't go QRP unless you will be able to put up a fairly decent wire antenna.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »

If you are willing to learn CW, you can work 15, 40, and 80 meters even with your Tech license.  And, also if you are in the "hands-on" camp like a few others here, CW only transceivers are cheaper and easier to build. There are plenty of kits to choose from.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

yup get an ft 857 or a IC 706 and have all bands, all modes, like 2 m ssb.

another way to go is buy the 2 alinco  HT's one is 2m/440/1.2 ghx  and the other is 220mhz/900 mhz.  lots of fun and you have many options too.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »

40 meters!

You can get on 40 right now with your tech, 40 CW. 

HF is where its at.  VHF is just another boring telephone. 

You can always work someone on 40 night, day, low SS, high SS, 24/7/365 band.  And you can works lots of DX there too.

HF is where the real fun is.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »

6 meters is a GREAT band & my FAVORITE but 10 meters is OPEN almost every day & you will go MONTHS without on opening on 6 meters! If they are BOTH open I choose 6 meters every time!  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: