Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Array Solutions Power Master II vs. Telepost LP-100A  (Read 3430 times)
W9CW

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »

I've owned a Bird 43 wattmeter for years, and have decided to purchase either an Array Solutions Power Master II or the Telepost LP-100A. 

Any comments, as to "Pros" and "Cons" of each.  It appears that both are very accurate traceable to NIST standards, but am looking for user comments as to user-friendliness, reliability, the included software for interfacing to a PC, customer support, etc. - i.e. overall satisfaction.

Tnx,
Don W9CW
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »

You may wish to include WaveNode in that list.

Software - Good graphics with expanded capabilities in the form of spectrum scopes and modulation graphing.  Built in SWR graphing capability as well.  Charting, peak hold graphs, and Watt Hour usage is also calculated on the output.  You can also place the unit in line with your power supply to monitor voltage, current and calculate watt hours as well.  Installation if almost plug and play.  Just install the software then the USB cable and your have it connected to the PC.  Power is user dependent and you have a choice of using the supplied wall wart or inline with your rigs power supply.

Hardware - Top Shelf.  You can simultaneously monitor 4 devices.  The ability to use two, one on the input to an amp and the other on the output to calculate gain.  Remoteable RF probes (bridges) allow positioning anywhere as long as you have the cable to support them.  Additional graphing and switching supported in hardware.  You have 4 switchable devices and 4 monitorable interfaces.  I use them for temperature and battery voltage monitoring.  Rf Probes are also traced to NIST standards.

Support - Better than most.  Alan is right there with help and will support a device to the end.  I blew one up - he replaced it for the cost of shipping.

I've purchased three.  That shows what level of satisfaction I have with them.

www.wavenode.com

Jim - KB1NXE
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »

I've owned a Bird 43 wattmeter for years, and have decided to purchase either an Array Solutions Power Master II or the Telepost LP-100A. 

Any comments, as to "Pros" and "Cons" of each.  It appears that both are very accurate traceable to NIST standards, but am looking for user comments as to user-friendliness, reliability, the included software for interfacing to a PC, customer support, etc. - i.e. overall satisfaction.

Tnx,
Don W9CW

I have a LP100 and like it a lot. A great feature of the LP100 I think the others don't have is the ability to calculate impedance. That was very useful
when I was shunt-feeding my tower on 160...my antenna analyzer was useless because of BC interference.

Tor
N4OGW
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »

I own an LP-100A and I would buy another one if I had the need.  I looked at the wavenode but I don't want anything that requires a computer.  I am not opposed to computers, I have three in the shack but they are all about my chosen profession and my other hobbies.  I do not actively use a computer with ham radio.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »

I bought my first PowerMaster 5-6 years ago.  And I got a PowerMasterII over a year ago.  They are both rugged, extremely accurate and easy to read.  If I ever need another power meter, I'll get another PowerMaster.

Phil - AD5X
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:31 AM »

You may wish to include WaveNode in that list.

Software - Good graphics with expanded capabilities in the form of spectrum scopes and modulation graphing.  Built in SWR graphing capability as well.  Charting, peak hold graphs, and Watt Hour usage is also calculated on the output.  You can also place the unit in line with your power supply to monitor voltage, current and calculate watt hours as well.  Installation if almost plug and play.  Just install the software then the USB cable and your have it connected to the PC.  Power is user dependent and you have a choice of using the supplied wall wart or inline with your rigs power supply.

Hardware - Top Shelf.  You can simultaneously monitor 4 devices.  The ability to use two, one on the input to an amp and the other on the output to calculate gain.  Remoteable RF probes (bridges) allow positioning anywhere as long as you have the cable to support them.  Additional graphing and switching supported in hardware.  You have 4 switchable devices and 4 monitorable interfaces.  I use them for temperature and battery voltage monitoring.  Rf Probes are also traced to NIST standards.

Support - Better than most.  Alan is right there with help and will support a device to the end.  I blew one up - he replaced it for the cost of shipping.

I've purchased three.  That shows what level of satisfaction I have with them.

www.wavenode.com

Jim - KB1NXE

Ditto that....have this set-up with 3 sensors...
I've got products from Telepost and their service is top notch as well...

Also have the "trusted" cross meter power meter(s) by that "Mighty Fine....." company. Of course they are not near as acccurate as a Powermate or LP-100 (or a Bird), but I doubt if anyone on the receive end will notice if I'm putting out 5-15 watts more or less.

It all depends on what makes you happy and how much you want to spend...

Bart
KB8BAB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: