The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile amplifiers  (Read 6526 times)
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

Five or six times a year I drive from lower SC to Virginia Beach to visit my daughter and grandchildren. I always make the 7 hour trip alone. To pass the time I operate a lot of 40M mobile in my "junker" 2000 Nissan truck. My rig is an old Yaesu FT-100D. The antenna varies from a Hustler with 30M coil and a LONG whip to resonate the 30M coil on 40M to my homebrew version of the Bug Catcher.

On occasion I run a Heathkit SB 200 in the passenger seat. It is powered by a 3000 watt Honda EU3000i generator in the bed of the truck. From my experience the difference between 100W and 600W in MY mobile is quite noticeable.

If you see my old Nissan truck with AD4U tags and a Bug Catcher antenna and the Honda EU3000i generator in the back going up I-95 - honk. Better yet listen on 40M SSB and give me a call. I will demonstrate the difference between 100W and 600W.  Grin

Dick AD4U
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »

Ran different setups since the early 80s  mostly on 10m then,  90s through 2012 10-80m SSB trying different antennas, best setup by far was the last one, Kenwood 480HX 200w radio and a  Clearspeach speaker, found using the built in EQ in the 480HX could boost the audio,  that made more differance than more watts, when the same places 5 years in a row in the summers, was heard on 75m EVERY morning in CA, NV, UT, NM, and AZ on our Roundtables rag chue ,  Used the Tarheel M100 screwdriver antenna  with the short wip . Do know how to install mobile radio systems, grounding is so important for good results, Had a 2006 RAVE 4 with the Kenwood 480HX radio! Do believe that mother nature, the time of the day, weather the band is in or out has more to do with it than anything else.  My thoughts an the result I got...............kb6hrt
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:34 AM »

Sure, go ahead and turn your mobile station into an "Alligator mobile", meaning all mouth and no ears.
Mobiles are already at a disadvantage as they typically are in a high noise environment, have a compromise antenna. Adding allot more power out will just make it to where your station can't hear the stations take can clearly hear you.
Stick to 100 watts out and install the best antenna you can.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 04:15:05 AM »

Sure, go ahead and turn your mobile station into an "Alligator mobile", meaning all mouth and no ears.
Mobiles are already at a disadvantage as they typically are in a high noise environment, have a compromise antenna. Adding allot more power out will just make it to where your station can't hear the stations take can clearly hear you.
Stick to 100 watts out and install the best antenna you can.

I think we all tend to view things through the prism of our own operating habits. I stay on 75 meters almost exclusively, could care less about DX, and haven't called CQ in probably 20 years. And, although there are always newcomers most of us have known each other for decades and can get as loud as we need to depending on static crashes etc. that have already cranked up for the summer. If you want to be part of that rag chew mobile running 100 watts it is going to be a challenge.
And, if I have ever heard a mobile that could not hear me I can't remember it. That 6% or 8% max antenna efficiency runs both ways.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »

Well, I stay OFF 75m almost exclusively, I love DX and I haven't called CQ in maybe 20 minutes, but one thing I agree on is I like to be heard. If I'm in the shack, the amp is on. Sure, the antenna should be first but it's sometimes easier to just add power. So in terms of the "best" amp for mobile, I would consider the Ameritron ALS-500 as being a cost effective unit in terms of price/performance. Good luck and enjoy!
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »

On occasion I run a Heathkit SB 200 in the passenger seat. It is powered by a 3000 watt Honda EU3000i generator in the bed of the truck. From my experience the difference between 100W and 600W in MY mobile is quite noticeable.

You sir, are a wild man!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:49:52 AM by WD8T » Logged
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

You sir, are a wildman!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: