About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba  (Read 3174 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »

I'm going to Cuba in a week with an art group and am interested in bringing my Elecraft KX1 with wire antenna. Does anyone know about any restrictions I would need to be aware of?
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »

The US has no reciprocal operating agreement with Cuba so you would need to get a Cuban license.

http://www.arrl.org/international-operating
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »

As I recall, there is a US citizen in a Cuban jail for distributing telecom equipment to Cubans.  I would not under any circumstances take com gear to Cuba

If my memory is failing me, please correct my statements.....
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

As I recall, there is a US citizen in a Cuban jail for distributing telecom equipment to Cubans.  I would not under any circumstances take com gear to Cuba

Nope, your memory is good.  This is the guy I mentioned in my response to this question in the Elmers forum.  With proper planning, letters of invitation, etc, etc, this is probably possible.  But, I'd be disinclined to try if you don't have more than a month or two until departure.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »

Definitely leave the radio at home.

I've found the Cubans to be very friendly but don't give the authorities any reason to give you any special attention.  Nothing good can come from that.  Their immigration/customs officials mean business.

-Dave
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »

Isn't it illegal for americans to travel to Cuba?

John AF5CC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

John AF5CC

I'm am fairly sure Obama eased the restriction and the USG now allows "People to People" visits but l would not prop that regime up with any of my dollars.

K2JF is an adult who is electing to go to Cuba of his own free will and he obviously has a different opinion than I. He must have some faith in the Cuban officials to make the trip in the first place since we don't even have an embassy in Cuba. If K2JF thinks he can trust the Castro brothers I think he should bring his gear to Cuba and try to operate. I'm sure the Cuban officials can be reasoned with.

Chris/NU1O
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »

John AF5CC

If K2JF thinks he can trust the Castro brothers I think he should bring his gear to Cuba and try to operate. I'm sure the Cuban officials can be reasoned with.

Chris/NU1O

Hopefully you are expressing sarcasm. He has no legal basis to operate in Cuba no matter what he might think about the Castro brothers.
ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 02:54:39 AM »

Hopefully you are expressing sarcasm. He has no legal basis to operate in Cuba no matter what he might think about the Castro brothers.

-start of sarcasm-

..and when done with CW, you can go and pass on the best regards from international ham community to Fidel and Hugo Wink
I've heard they are both in town and need all support they can get.

-end of sarcasm-
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »

I wouldn't bring any radio equipment at all. I would talk to the local club and ask if you can use their station.

Regarding the "travel ban" to Cuba, it is not illegal to actually go there. But it is illegal under US law for US citizens to spend any money there, effectively making travel there impossible.

Cuban-Americans can go there freely now and also religious missionaries and students can go there for their respective purposes. Previously those groups and others could have gone with special permission. A friend of mine went 10 years or so ago with a mission organized by his Buddhist temple.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:45:28 AM by N2RJ » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:50:24 AM »

Your memory is correct. Google "Alan Gross". Cuban government seems to fear the small portable wireless technologies, above and beyond all others.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:55:40 AM »

Your memory is correct. Google "Alan Gross". Cuban government seems to fear the small portable wireless technologies, above and beyond all others.

In that case, I guess that I should assume all of the Cuban hams I have had QSOs with are probably
loyal members of the party? I doubt if they could obtain a license otherwise...... Huh

BTW, I believe it is OK, legal to go to Cuba, (I could be wrong on that, tho.) but IS against the law to spend US dollars in Cuba. Go figure..... Undecided (convert your funds prior to leaving... hi)

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »

You're kidding, right? You're going to Cuber when it's almost 0 degrees in the much of the U.S., and you're worried about radio? If/when I ever go there it'll be a week on Veradero, a few trips into Old Havana and a visit to the Piñar del Rio region (with a nice long stop at the Alejendro farm). A bottle of Cuban Club rum, some Montecristo #2s, Partagas Lusitanias and maybe a couple of Cohiba Esplendidos would make me completely forget the concept of ham radio for a few days!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »

And Cuba isn't even all that rare.

That said I think ordinary Cuban citizens can get a license. But from what I hear their process is a lot more difficult than ours and I think you need to demonstrate that you are able to build a radio from parts too.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »

You're kidding, right? You're going to Cuber when it's almost 0 degrees in the much of the U.S., and you're worried about radio? If/when I ever go there it'll be a week on Veradero, a few trips into Old Havana and a visit to the Piñar del Rio region (with a nice long stop at the Alejendro farm). A bottle of Cuban Club rum, some Montecristo #2s, Partagas Lusitanias and maybe a couple of Cohiba Esplendidos would make me completely forget the concept of ham radio for a few days!

This X100

If you really get the urge to do something ham radio related, why not help get a local set up with LOTW

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: