Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begali Sculpture setup  (Read 703 times)
KM6CQ

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:07 PM »

Hello all,
I have a Begali Sculpture. So far I have run it as it came out of the box. I have not made any adjustments to it. I will when I get more use to it. For those of you who have one of the Begli's I would like to hear how you have set it up. I also have one of there travel keys with the fold out feet. Nice little key. So your thoughts on setup will be appreciated.

Best Regards,    Dan KM6CQ
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:52:06 AM »

I've had a Sculpture for about a year now, and I've also used it just as it came.  I.e., I've not made any adjustments.  It is the finest key I've ever owned - by far!

Phil - AD5X
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »

I believe your Begali came with a .03 mm feeler gauge. If you need to adjust your Sculpture I would use that. If that spacing is too close back off slightly. Spacing is really a personal preference.

Rick N6NKN
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »

I have a Begali Signature and I used the provided feeler strip to set the initial contact spacing.  After that you gotta use it and then you will know what is comfortable for you in regards to the spacing and the magnetic tension and make the final adjustments to get it where you want it.
Once it is set, it will stay put.
Art
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »

I also have a Begali Signature that I just received about a month ago. I played around for about 1/2 hour with my settings trying different spacing and tension til I found something I liked. I've been used to both my benchers and my vibrokeyer with wider spacing so I had my gaps on the begali pretty wide. I've since been little by little decreasing as I am starting to like closer spacing more and more.

It's all a matter of preference. Don't be afraid to try out adjustments. Mine was clearly in need of adjustments before I could use it - which is good.. it forced me to learn the workings of the key and got me to play around with it. Heh, first thing I did before I did anything was change to the aluminum paddles! The carbon fiber sculpture paddles do sound like they'd feel nice!
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:28:10 AM »

I set mine with firm spring tension, and then slowly and carefully set the contact adjustments just until they make electical contact, then backing them away just until they no longer make contact, and cannot be intermittantly engaged. Sometimes slightly increase spring tension to further ensure contacts will not engage, but do not bottom out tension adjustments.

The Sculpture is very solid and stays put. If I'm taking the Sculpture to another location/transporting it with me on a trip/portable operation, I remove the spring tension, and open up the contacts.

I find that I can easily duplicate the adjustments for my sending hand by just "feel", and once set, they stay set, unlike some of the cheaper brand paddles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: