Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old issues of 73 Magazine found here.  (Read 2407 times)
K3ANG

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

http://archive.org/details/73-magazine

500+ random issues from 1961 to 2002 scanned and ready for perusal.
Thanks to all who did the work for the rest of us.

K3ANG
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »

Hi K3ANG,

Yes the archive added those a little more than a year ago. They really aren't "random", I think that you will find EVERY issue Wayne Greene ever published, from the first to the last.

The archive also contains most early (1908-1922) issues of Popular Mechanics, and  Technical World magazine (1904-1914) which Popular Mechanics bought out in 1914 (both were located in Chicago).

All these magazines are available in pdf format.

As far as 73 magazine, I have reread all of them in date order, tells alot about the mind of the publisher Wayne Greene, who really was a little screwy (aka crazy) in his later years. This guy started to really believe in some really weird things in his later life...... Like using rf to cure all diseases and ailments, magical chemical elements and compounds which if they didn't kill you or cause more harm than good, were just inert and did nothing. And lets not forget about the UFOs and aliens...

Pretty heady reading for what was suppose to be an Amateur Radio magazine.
Oh yes, you can pretty much thank Wayne Green for the elimination of the CW code requirement. In the early 1960's, he was against it, by the early 1970's, he was all for it and one of the biggest proponents out there.

He also basically hated the ARRL (almost every issue had rants against them) and CQ Magazine, (he was the former CQ magazine editor). He also apparently went through wives like most hams go through tranceivers (every few years, a new one).

Steve KA1SMC (formerly since 1977 KA1BIN)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:27:09 PM by KA1BIN » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »

Heh, I used to tell my ham buddies that it must have something to do with hams who had single syllables for both first and surname.  

Wayne Green

Art Bell

But my buddy who also had two single syllable names didn't seem to enjoy that one for some odd reason.

And then one day we caught him messin' around with, you guessed it, colloidal silver...

KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »

Heh, I used to tell my ham buddies that it must have something to do with hams who had single syllables for both first and surname.  

Wayne Green

Art Bell

But my buddy who also had two single syllable names didn't seem to enjoy that one for some odd reason.

And then one day we caught him messin' around with, you guessed it, colloidal silver...

Ah yes, "colloidal Silver", I was racking my brain trying to remember some of the specific compounds he was so keen on.

And lets not forget that during the later issues of '73, good old Wayne was writing editorials about his friendship and On-Air Broadcast Radio phone conversations with....
You guessed it! .... Art Bell!

I also thought that he had "bigones" for using his New York Call Sign (with the appendment "/1" in New Hampshire for over 40 years. "Yep' I'm Wayne Greene Mobile".

Steve - KA1SMC
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »

My absolute fondest memory of 73 magazine happened when perusing the magazine covers on the stand at the old bookshop. 

And there on the cover of 73 was an article heading, "Use that 11 meter vertical on 160" or something to that effect, don't remember if I have the wording straight, but do remember walking away with somewhat browed forehead and a lot of laughter.  Which then turned to concern about what might happen to topband from advice like that... 

Takes all kinds to make a world,

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

AFAIK ol' Wayne is still around. I encountered him online some time back.

His MO is simple: "Never let facts or logic get in the way of a good rant"

73 de Jim, N2EY
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »

KA1BIN, you might love this link.
http://books.google.com/books?id=RdMDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1&atm_aiy=1900#all_issues_anchor
Pop Mech from 1/1905 to 12/2005.  Appears complete.

KE3WD: I read that article (11 Meter Vertical on 160).  I could feel the brain shift when I was reading it.

73 to all
K3ANG
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

AFAIK ol' Wayne is still around.

Yes, and he's still writing via this Blog ...

LINK: http://www.waynegreen.com/

"Wayne Green Explains How ... The World Is Changing"

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »

KA1BIN, you might love this link.
http://books.google.com/books?id=RdMDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1&atm_aiy=1900#all_issues_anchor
Pop Mech from 1/1905 to 12/2005.  Appears complete.

KE3WD: I read that article (11 Meter Vertical on 160).  I could feel the brain shift when I was reading it.

73 to all
K3ANG

Thanks KE3WD,

Always loved old Pop Mech's and Pop Sci magazines, Alot of things that we think are so high-tech today were actually thought of during our grandfather's day and many "developments" today were found to be impractical even then.

Got to go now, going to have a few more beers and get into my flying car. I hope that I'm not too drunk, don't want to flame out and crash into somebodys house.

Steve KA1SMC
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »

And there on the cover of 73 was an article heading, "Use that 11 meter vertical on 160" or something to that effect, don't remember if I have the wording straight, but do remember walking away with somewhat browed forehead and a lot of laughter.  Which then turned to concern about what might happen to topband from advice like that... 

Was it perhaps the April issue??
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »

As my old mentor used to say, "It doesn't really take all kinds - we just happen to HAVE all kinds."

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: