Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titan 425 Help (Blowing Fuses)  (Read 14574 times)
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

This is clearly an example of a craftsman at work.  Many of us grew up in the days of discrete components and true "field engineering" as was demonstrated here.  I was a data communications field engineer during the 80's and 90's and was quite sad when the industry (understandably) went to a board-swap or whole unit swap philosophy. I just felt like something was lost at that time. 

I worked on radar systems in the Navy and had a few opportunities to make a few Macgyver mods on them, but that equipment belonged to Uncle Sam and we had no choices at the time. I don't think I would have the nerve to try something like this on a relative stranger's equipment.  So my hats off to you and kudos for a job well done.  You obviously know what you are talking about.

I am curious though.  Do any of you with the contacts have any idea what it would have cost to have the transformer rewound.  I am not trying to second guess anyone, it is purely a curiosity question.  I have no idea what something like that would cost.   
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »

I'm not sure how much it would cost to rewind it but it has to be at least what Rocco paid for the Ameritron transformer.  He paid $247.00 for it.  I had the transformer in about 4 days from Ameritron.  in the meantime I ordered a small signal transformer to provide the one voltage  the Ameritron did not have.  I did use the 12v supply voltage from the Ameritron to do some control work.  I repurposed the 12v relay Ten Tec used to switc the amp from hi/lo HV.  SInce the Ameritron tranny did not have a dual secondary there was no use for that relay so I removed it to make the Hi Temp alarm work if the trayy overheated.  I also used another 12v relay to short out a resistor I put in series with the fan to speed it up or slow it down. The originbal switch was on the power supply itself.  Kinda stupid because it is a remote power supply and most people would put it on the floor and off the operating table. If you wanted to slow the fan down when not transmiting you would have to get up and turn the switch under the table or some remote place.  I didn't think of it at first and had closed up the PS to send it back to Rocco.  Then it dawned on me that the switch on the amp to switc the hi/lo HV was not being used any longer, so I simply routed the relay coil that shorts the resistor out up through the wiring harness were it grounds out in the HI position.  When the switch is in hi the relay in the PS grounds out and shorts the resistor and the fan speeds up.  I told Rocco the only problem with the amp is that it's not mine.
WU2M

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »

Hello Everyone,
 Here is a link to some pictures of the great work that Lou did for me. I'm sorry I didn't get them up sooner but I am a bit under the weather. Anyhow, the amp works real nice and makes plenty of power. I intend to put it through it's paces this weekend if I get feeling better.

http://s1352.beta.photobucket.com/user/helismash/library/

73, Rocco
WU2M
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

Clean looking power supply , thanks for posting photos and let us know how it performs this weekend on the air. You might need to put a schematic and note inside so some ham 20 years from now will know why it looks nothing like the TT schematic.

Frank
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

Clean looking power supply , thanks for posting photos and let us know how it performs this weekend on the air. You might need to put a schematic and note inside so some ham 20 years from now will know why it looks nothing like the TT schematic.

Frank

You are right Frank.  I really need to redraw a schematic  for Rocco, but I am so lousy at drawing I doubt he or anyone else can follow it.  My partner in LL has the program to draw schematics, maybe I can get him to do it on the computer.  That Ameritron transformer for $247.00 really works well and it doesn't fuss a bit when the amp makes 1800w output.  It loafs at 1500w output. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »

It has been said that a picture is worth 10k words.  These pictures say a lot more than that.  Great layout and wiring Lou.  Congrats on re-engineering a beautiful piece of equipment.

As for the cost of rewinding a transformer, based on what I've read in the past, $247.00 for a prewound transformer is a cheaper way to go.  It's only the huge transformers (broadcast to power distribution) that rewinding becomes cost effective.

Al - K8AXW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: