Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-901D will SSB receive and transmit out of alignment?  (Read 2498 times)
VE3JAQ

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »

I am interested in purchasing a FT-901D.  The current owner says the rig puts out full power but that USB signals cannot be tuned in and on transmit USB seems to be off frequency.  Also on LSB the signal output is good but the audio is very bassy.  Could this be a misalignment of the balanced modulator?  I would like to know a bit more of what could be the issue before commiting to buy it.  Don't want a basket case. 
Thanks!
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:31 AM »

Depends on how far out it is.

Had an FT902dm with CB crystals.  When I replaced them with 10m ham band crystals the output was  low.  I tweaked the alignment by ear and  restored normal output.

No rf output has  many causes, so the finals/driver tubes may need  replacement.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:36 AM »

All you can do is evaluate the situation and take your chances or decide to look elsewhere, unfortunately, anything  else from any poster would be only sheer conjecture - and quite often goes straight to the worst-case scenarios. 

Then again, consider that in my life, picking up nonoperational gear and spending the time learning and restoring to proper operation has proven to be a joy in and of itself.  There's nothing like operating a rig that you have repaired and aligned successfully yourself. 

VE3JAQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

Well said.  This is the main reason for my purchase.  I want something I can work on and troubleshoot.  I have done this before and if succcessful there is great satisfaction.  Also the asthetics of the FT-901/902 series is very appealing to me as well.  Anyways the price is right.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »

The 8 MHz offset oscillators are off frequency.  There is one each for USB, LSB, CW and RTTY.  Given the age of the radio a good alignment wouldn't hurt, there is a possibility it has seen some Charlie Brown time, plus it might have a few other surprises under the hood.  If the price is right and you want a project radio to work on you could do worse.  The receiver was above average in the 80's and is still competitive today.

Take a look at this:  http://foxtango.org/FT901/FT-901-902%20Web%20Page.htm

The FT-902 has the WARC bands, the FT-901 does not.  If you buy the radio your first mod will be bleeder resistors on the filter caps.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »

Well, there you go....

If you have or can get access to a frequency counter and the manual it is simple to align oscillator frequencies.  Sounds like a simple repair, if the price is right this would be an excellent transceiver to own.
I have a 902DM and love it. 
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Can only echo others about the durability and performance of this once top-of-the-line radio.

Bought my 901DM  in 1979 and used it  heavily in contests for decades.  Picked up the accompanying scope, patch/speaker/external vfo and antenna tuner.  It almost crushed the desk but looks IMPRESSIVE.  Works great to boot.   Then in 2001 I found an FT902DM at a hamfest, sold by an old CB dealer.  Picked it up together with the external vfo, tuner, speaker/patch, and dummy load/wattmeter.  SO both of those heavyweights are sitting on desks in the shack.

Only made two repairs in decades of operating- blown diode in the power supply, and  NOS gassy finals bought on the internet.  Very well built and heavy duty.

You'll enjoy it.

PS  I caved in and bought a new rig (IC7600) two years ago but havent had the heart to sell the 901DM/902DM stations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: