Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bencher BY-1  (Read 560 times)
WU8P

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »

I have a BY-1 that has a loose fingerpiece. I would like to replace the clear with wood. Does anyone know who sells the wood fingerpieces for the BY-1 ?

Phil WU8P
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »

Nope.  I think you'll have to make them yourself.

What's wrong with the plexiglas pieces?  My BY-1s (3 of them) are 25, 22 and 19 years old and still work just fine.

WB2WIK/6
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:49:51 PM »

From "CQ", May 2009, pg 65:

"Photo 8 -- Meet Gregg's little Cootie!  WB8LZG assembled this cool-going Sideswiper from home-improvement-store hardware, his own knotty-pine base, and two tulip-wood fingergerpieces.  Gregg makes custom (and affordable!) fingerpieces for paddles of all types, and you may e-mail him at

wb8lzg at sbcglobal.net
"

So you might be in luck!

I agree with WB2WIK -- I think the stock lucite fingerpieces are OK.  But there's no accounting for taste, and the world would be a dull place if we all liked the same stuff.

Rivets may not be the best way to attach fingerpieces, but Bencher has been using them for a long time.   If I ordered wood fingerpieces, I'd request some screws and nuts to go with them.

If the only problem is that the rivets are loose, I'd try _gentle_ hammering over an anvil to tighten them up.  You don't want to crack the plastic.

Charles
WU8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »

Thank you Charles ! That is exactly what I was looking for. I purchase this BY-1 at a local swap. After I cleaned it up I noticed one of the paddles was loose. So I thought this would be a good time to customized it. Gregg, WB8LZG has beautiful pieces and very reasonable prices.

I started out over 25 years ago as a Novice with a straight key and then a BY-1 with an external keyer connected to my Kenwood TS-520.  I worked CW for a year that way. What a ball !

Phil WU8P
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

I just had a look at Greg's site:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mulderg/

Wow he does some beautiful work! I may look for a set of the side panels for my K2! It's a nice way to dress up a key.
W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »

Phil,

You can't go wrong dealing with Gregg (WB8LGZ).  I purchased some very nice African Paduak pieces from him for my BY-1, and also had him custom-cut another piece for the base of my straightkey, and his communication and workmanship are both top-shelf!  It was really great to see him mentioned in CQ (be aware, he may be QUITE busy nowadays...), he really deserves that recognition.

I got the replacement fingerpieces for the same reason as you - mine were loose when I got the paddle.  Not so loose as to really interfere with the operation, just enough to make me consider something different.  I also contacted Bencher and ordered new lever arms for the fingerpieces (Bencher part #10004 - order each arm individually) so as to avoid having to drill out the old rivets, and to leave the originals intact in case I decided to move it along at a later date  (see my post here http://www.eham.net/forums/CompanyReviews/4985 ).

Good luck whichever way you go.

de Tony, W3FLH
WU8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »

I did purchase a set of Tulipwood pieces for my BY-1.
They are great. Gregg did a fantastic job.
Email me if you would like to see the results.
wu8p@charter.net.

Phil WU8P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: