Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oops...  (Read 2203 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

Around 1900 UTC i plopped down on what I thought was a vacant freq (I monitored it for several minutes) and called CQ, just to see if anybody heard me. What I got was totally unexpected. Very faintly, just above the static, I hear somebody say "Some guy called CQ on top of me! What a jerk!"  Shocked  Sad  Tongue If the guy on 7215 at 1900 is reading this, it was an honest mistake. I really that that was empty. Just goes to show you, there's really no such thing as a truly vacant freq, unless it's 0500 UTC. Lesson learned...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »

AND, I have asked if the frequency was open several times, then started to call CQ only to have a voice come back telling me that the frequency was in use.  Then I heard a couple of other voices and gathered from their conversation, no call signs used at all, that they were guarding the frequency for a net that was to start in an hour.  Stuff happens and then there are the classic LIDS!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »

Just pretend you were 100 miles further North and didn't hear him.  Grin
Stuff happens, go forth and sin no more.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »

Usually I can tell if there's somebody there. Often, I can hear the heterodyning from the guy's single sideband carrier long before I hear him. Sometimes I never hear a voice, just the whistle. I've tuned across 40 meters at 2300 and heard nothing but whistles every 5 or 10 khz. I try to latch onto a signal in many cases, and can't hear talking, just the whistle. I just assume somebody's there. There was no whistle in this case. Stuff happens.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »

ZOL:  An apology is seldom appreciated.  I just QSY.  If I QRL and nobody answers and then after a CQ I get a blast from someone, I simply ignore it and either QSY or call CQ again, depending on how bad he burns me.   Angry
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »

It's happened to all of us; it's no big deal! Smiley
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »

Don't even waste the time worrying about it.  What probably happened is someone was holding a freq for upcoming net and pretending he was in a QSO.  It's happened to me before and holding a frequency to me is a no-no, not tolerated!
Randy
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »

I usually ask "Is the frequency in use?"

I wait a few seconds and ask "Is the frequency in use? This is WD4CHP, Whiskey Delta 4 Charley Hotel Papa, WD4CHP"

If there is no response then I go ahead a call CQ.

I gave fair warning.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:19:18 PM by WD4CHP » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

CHP:  Perfect! Grin
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

CHP:  Perfect! Grin

Thankyou

My Elmer WB4LPX (sk) taught me proper procedure.
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:32:10 AM »

I live in Idaho.  Some guys go like this: hear something they don't like - blast off a nasty comment/criticism - then think about it, if they ever do.  I was on 40 meters CW and the band was short.  I found an empty spot and listened: nothing heard.  QRL? and listened again - zip.  QRL? again - nada.  QRL? number 3 - nope.  So I called CQ.  I received a very nasty email from a guy who lived just about half way between me and Newington, CT/W1AW.  W1AW was sending code practice and he was copying it in his shack with a guy investigating our hobby.  Apparently he heard me and W1AW.  I knocked out W1AW and killed his code practice session according to him.  The path from CT to me was closed and I never heard W1AW.  This guy flamed me real hard and obviously never did think about it critically - if he was capable of it.  Of course he heard W1AW and me - he was in the middle!  Like I said: ready - shoot - then think about it.  Dumb!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: