Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conway Reef on LoTW  (Read 1167 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »

Conway Reef QSL's  hit LOTW !!

I thought they had fallen through a crack.

Allen  KA5N
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:32:12 AM »

Alan, it's only been three months since 3D2C concluded.

Paul N6PSE
Co-Leader 3D2C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »

Paul N6PSE
Co-Leader 3D2C

My thanks to you and your teammates for making the trip, the LoTW upload and the nice QSL, plus all the QSOs on many bands.  You guys had one of the strongest (if not the strongest) signals of any expedition from Oceania. As a result I worked 3D2C on more bands and modes than any other expedition.

Chris/NU1O
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »

Gee Paul, every comment is not a complaint or insult.  I worked you'all on four bands
(could have done Five if I had got my 40 meter antenna back in place)  Conway was an
ATNO for me.   I am retired and seem to always be waiting for QSL's or Lotw uploads.

"As one gets older the days drag by and the years fly by."

Keep up the great work.

Allen KA5N
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

Paul N6PSE
Co-Leader 3D2C
Thank you for a good DXpedition, and a new one for me!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

Guys, I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed working the 3D2C DXpedition. We had a lot of fun doing this DXpedition.

A lot has been written about the performace of verticals at salt water. Well, we use Yagis at Salt Water and we think that gives even better results, plus it gives us directivity and allows us to point our signals in the direction we want them. There are times when it is nice to be able to put a certain continent off to the side of your beam so that you can work the harder/weaker signals. A vertical does not let you do that.

We are actively trying to solidify our plans for another DXpedition later this year.

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »

A vertical does not let you do that.

A pair of phased verticals will let you do this - either using the Christman feed method or a DX Engineering PVS-2.
You get broad side and end fire directions.  You don't have to go use the "armstrong method" to turn it - just switch from the shack.

Three verticals in a triangle are better, and a 4 square  - 4 cardioid directions - which cover everything.

But the 2 element end fire / broadsided approach is what I think is best for a DX-peditrion - when you are right at waters edge.

You can sort of do this with 2 half squares perpendicular to each other and switched. A K1WA Array on a single fiberglass mast can give you 4 - or more directions - and all used with a single simple switch - that gets its power from the feedline.

The downside is that these are monoband antenna systems, so a multiband yagi can do fine - if up 1/2 wl.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:16:16 AM by KY6R » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »

Rich, all this mono-band vertical HW would take too much time & effort to set up. We typically set up a Hy-Gain or Cushcraft three element (10-15-20) for each SSB and CW group and another three element Yagi for the WARC bands for a total of four Triband Yagis. One of those has the 30 meter kit.  We often use a four square for forty and inverted L antennas for 80 &. 160 meters.  We bring multi-band verticals as spare/backup antennas.   We always have to keep things manageable and practical on DXpeditions.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:49 AM »

I was thinking about how the "Microlite Penguins", "Team Vertical / K5K" or VU7RG did this. VU7RG used PVS-2's on 40M and had a booming signal. FT5XO had a bone crushing signal on 40 and 30M - and even 80M when they were on.

All vertical DX-peds, but yes - it does take up more space, and yes, multi-monoband setups can be more complex.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

I received the QSL card a couple of weeks ago and they appeared on LoTW this morning for me.

Thanks for a first class operation and getting all the confirmations out so quickly!

73 de Jim - KE8G
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »

My four bands showed up. Three were new. Of course, I had already received the card from WD5COV, whom I worked on six meters last Saturday during the ARRL January VHF contest.

Also, I was surprised that a contact with NU1O showed up immediately before the ones for 3D2C.

Is the world getting smaller?  :-)

Dave, N6ORB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: