Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Split-frequency Logging question  (Read 1266 times)
K9AIM

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »

LoTW just confirmed 3V8BB for me on 40 meters SSB (split).

What is the proper protocol for logging a split-frequency QSO?

I had put down the frequency he was xmting on for that QSO, but it now occurs to me I probably should log the frequency *I* am transmitting on since a log is a record of my station operations...

As there is only one frequency field in my log, I have started putting my frequency in the 'freq' field and the frequency of the station worked in the comments (for future reference, etc.)...  I realize I could just put 7 MHz and leave it at that, but what do you all do when you work a station split?
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

I had this same question after CQ WW SSB 2011. I operated 40m single band using N1MM logger and my FT-817 with the call ES6Q. When I generated the Cabrillo log after the contest, the software used my received frequencies so you could possibly think that I was transmitting out of band (40m in Europe = 7.0 to 7.2 MHz only).

I guess you have the same problem but in reverse (not allowed to transmit SSB below 7.1 MHz). Ideally I think you should log both the TX and RX frequency.

http://www.cqww.com/publiclogs/2011ph/es6q.log
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »

Why think when the computer does it for me?  Smiley  DXLab logs both.

I also had a couple of 3V8BB confirmations show up today. As you suggest, LoTW QSO details have my TX listed as "Frequency" and his as my "Receive Frequency."
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

I always just put my RX frequency. Heck, I have even had LOTW confirmations where there was only a band written in.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »

It's my understanding you only need the band specified, not the exact frequency (or frequencies if split).
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »

The ADI then the TQ8 you submit to LOTW potentially has fields for both transmit frequency and receive frequency which are potentially different. ADI fields are called "FREQ_RX" (receive) and "FREQ" (transmit). When LOTW goes to match the QSL, it only looks at the band, but it happens to preserve the transmit and receive frequencies recorded by both sides. If you have a confirmed QSO, you can see what frequencies you reported, and what frequencies the other guy reported. They don't matter for QSL confirmation but it's interesting to look at sometimes.

As far as I know, LOTW does not yet confirm QSL's for split band operation. (Could be wrong!).

Cabrillo files contain frequency to nearest kHz and times to nearest minute. Log checkers have grown increasingly stickler for time accuracy and there have been folks disqualified because of fudged minutes. But as far as I know... none of the contest log checkers do anything yet other than figure out which band, the kc column maps to. Many contest logging programs simply round every frequency off to the low band edge. There are many contests where band changes have a meaning to the log checkers. I don't know of any contests (except satellite contests) where cross-band contacts count.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: