Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code with a mouse - practice sending  (Read 6893 times)
AD0AE

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »

Hi All-

As usually, another newbie question brought to you by AD0AE.  I was just wondering if there are any programs out there that allow one to be able to use their mouse (standard un-tampered USB mouse) as a keyer?   I am mainly curious if a program like this exists where I could do a bit of sending practice.  So just to practice before trying on the air.  I found this MorseKOB program, but on launching it, it didn't seem to quite be what I thought it would be.

73s
Steve
AD0AE
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »

You can practice sending by tapping on your desk with your finger or by singing your di-dahs.
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »

As usually, another newbie question brought to you by AD0AE.  I was just wondering if there are any programs out there that allow one to be able to use their mouse (standard un-tampered USB mouse) as a keyer?   I am mainly curious if a program like this exists where I could do a bit of sending practice.  So just to practice before trying on the air.  I found this MorseKOB program, but on launching it, it didn't seem to quite be what I thought it would be.

About two years ago I coded a little Morse Decoder which uses the mouse as the input device in JavaScript, e.g. to be used in a browser.
Getting the mouse click events with a millisecond resolution works surprisingly well with the Firefox browser. What I didn't manage to get running well back then was a decent sidetone.

A few weeks ago I played with the code again and found that Firefox's audio capabilities have dramatically improved in the meantime, and it's indeed possible to generate a sidetone without too much delay by very simple means. It's still a bit clicky because I switch it on and off without any rise- or fall-times, but at least it's not delayed much (on a halfway modern/fast computer).

The result can be seen here (as mentioned, it will probably work with Firefox only at this moment, possibly also with Opera):
http://lcwo.net/transmit

I have some ideas how to improve the sound, and also I am planning to implement a little Morse Chatroom with it on LCWO.net eventually.

Fabian DJ1YFK

M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »

why not use the sidetone on your rig and practice with a real key or paddle ? why the need to try sending with a mouse , send with a key ,afterall that's what your going to be using isn't it ?. if you need sending practice yo need to practice with a key or a paddle not a mouse .
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »

You could also wire in a key on the left click of a mouse and use the web site, if you don't have a radio.

I'm finding it useful to have the feedback of a decoded output while sending, it is forcing me to pay attention to what I'm sending, especially making sure the last dit or dah is correct.
N0BOE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

Check out CW Communicator: http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm

It's been a while since I've used it, but I believe it can be configured to use a mouse as a key input. (Along with just typing, or using a designated key on the keyboard as a straight key.)

Added bonus is that there is a global server for this program in use, and you can pretty frequently find other users online to chat with. I most frequently see Japanese hams on there practicing and have had some decent little QSOs with them.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:39 AM »

Check out CW Communicator: http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm

AFAIK the received morse code is changed to your own timing and speed, and also text is printed on the screen.

So you can't even help a guy to correct  his fist. (or let him sweat to copy you, he just reads his screen)

Looks like you sent an email and the receiver transforms it with a program to morse sound with his own defined specifications and speed. Has hardly anything to do with copying the others guys fist. So when the guy sents 5 wpm, I can play it with 30 wpm.

Bob
May be I am wrong, if so pse correct me.
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

Morse Mania on the Mac lets you try keying with your mouse.

Cat, K3NPO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: