Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ERITREA  (Read 3576 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »

If there's someone that really got 'burned' by others copying their antenna design it would be Mr. Yagi and Mr. Uda Wink

Jonathan W6GX

I was actually going to write that. If anybody got burned it would be the descendants of Mr. Yagi and Mr. Uda since all conventional beam antennas are based on their design. I seriously doubt they made a good deal of money.

Chris/NU1O
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:41 AM »

To comment on Eritrea, I've been working in Myanmar since early last year, and trying to get an XZ licence issued for operating from Yangon.  So far, I've made little progress, and the Minister of Telecoms (who needs to personally issue my licence), is now under house arrest accused of receiving 'under the table' funds from the various mobile network operators who want to be awarded one of the 2 new mobile telecom licences!

Now I see that there are employment opportunities for me in Eritrea, (I work as an international school teacher in Myanmar and an international school in Asmara has several teaching vacancies right now).

Should I stay in Myanmar and hope for a licence?  Or should I get a job in Eritrea and hope for better success there?

Perhaps Paul (Intrepid Group) could comment on his gut feelings about the possibility of getting a licence in Eritrea if one is 'resident' there?

Simon

PS - I have not found any international school vacancies in P5 yet Smiley
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »

Simon, Eritrea says when their war with Ethiopia is over, they may once again allow amateur radio again in Eritrea.  They fear that amateur radio could be used to further harm them. We offered to operate under the ministries supervision just as we did in Yemen, however they have not approved our request.   I think near term chances for any operating in Eritrea are poor.

Paul N6PSE
www.Intrepid-DX.com
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »

I think near term chances for any operating in Eritrea are poor.

Paul N6PSE
www.Intrepid-DX.com

Paul, I have to agree, but I still think our friend has as good a chance for a "solo" operation as
anyone I could think of
except perhaps Vlad.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »

I think near term chances for any operating in Eritrea are poor.

Paul N6PSE
www.Intrepid-DX.com

Paul, I have to agree, but I still think our friend has as good a chance for a "solo" operation as
anyone I could think of
except perhaps Vlad.

73, Gene AF3Y

They have to be a bit paranoid if they will not let you operate with a monitor.  Based on Paul's opinion I would not relocate my job to that paradise of Eritrea.

Chris/NU1O
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »

Eritrea says when their war with Ethiopia is over, they may once again allow amateur radio again in Eritrea. 

Paul N6PSE
www.Intrepid-DX.com

Haven't they been at war since forever (with a few minor exceptions)? (and forever defined as the last half of the 20th century)
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

Yes, this conflict has been going on for thirty years with no end in sight.  We won't give up on E3, however there are no encouraging signs.  Unlike Yemen, Irag or South Sudan, they have no interest in promoting travel & tourism.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

Paul - thanks for that useful information.  I do know that American citizens are excluded from applying for these vacancies, which perhaps indicates the disadvantage that US hams may be at when applying for an E3 licence. 

I'll have a think about these opportunities - is there a good beach in Eritrea? Smiley

Simon
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: