Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-101EE Power Output Adjustment  (Read 1032 times)
KB3KCJ

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »

There seem to be as many tuneup procedures for the 101EE as there were radios made.  My question is:  How far can I advance the "CARRIER" control on the front of the rig for maximum output?  It now reads full output at a setting of "9".  Is that too much? Thanks
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »

The effectiveness of the carrier control may vary from band to band with lower numbers (less rotation) needed on the lower bands.  You'll also find the radio is capable of more power on the lower bands (100+ Watts) and maybe 80 to 85 Watts on 10 Meters.  This is a characteristic of hybrid rigs and given the age you should expect the radio to have a little extra personality...

Never change a password on a Friday                
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »

Additional note: when you advance the carrier watch your Ic on the meter. its been since the early 90s since I loaded one up.
Tom Kb3hg
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »

FYI... please remember this is a tube rig, with 2 tubes in the final with 35 watt rating, you might not want to get too much power out!  Tube life could suffer.
Follow the manual and you should be OK.
73s.

-Mike.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

Keep the plate current under 400ma and you should have a long life with those finals. 

Greg
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »

and you can preset the controls close, but tuning off freq a tad to only hiss, the tune all the plate load and such for loudest hiss.  tune back on freq and you will usually only have to tweek it a bit. tune for peak power out at the power level you want (carrier insertion level ?)  I have had several over the years, but I just don't remember.  join the Fox Tango groop on yahooooooooo
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »

and you can preset the controls close, but tuning off freq a tad to only hiss, the tune all the plate load and such for loudest hiss.  tune back on freq and you will usually only have to tweek it a bit. tune for peak power out at the power level you want (carrier insertion level ?)  I have had several over the years, but I just don't remember.  join the Fox Tango groop on yahooooooooo

keep the tube current within limits, dip the plate, etc as already stated. However, the thing that surprised me on my FT101E was that the preselector played a big part in the tx tuning as well.

These radios actually require an "operator" , lots of knobs to twist as one moves up and down the bands. No broad band amp!
I pull it it out once in a while when I want that "retro" feeling. These rigs have excellent rx and tx audio. I get unsolicited compliments when I use it. That never happens with my FT450AT!

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »

In the FT101 series (like most tube rigs of that era), the tuned circuits in the receiver front end ('preselector') are also used in the driver circuits of the tx. That's why the 'preselector' affects tx power.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »

hi,

take a look at this topic, the tip from WB2WIK, Steve,

introduce a source of negative DC voltage into the ALC input pin
on the accessory connector (rear panel).

many of us do this with our kenwood hybrids.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=40670.0

73 james
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:56:30 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: