Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.5K autotuners -- any reliable ones?  (Read 4452 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

I had the old Palstar AT-Auto and now Palstar HF-Auto.  I wanted one that didn't need CIV or control cables to track changes on the radio which is a K3.  At the time I bought the K3, there weren't many, any if at all, that was RF sensing. Only Palstar came out with one at the time I needed a tuner.  It still works great.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

I have the MFJ-998 and no issues here running up to 1.5kw.  In the future I'm looking for an upgrade that will provide a better match.  I've heard that the variable type tuners will match to a 1.1 to 1.  The MFJ in most cases won't match it to a 1.1 to 1.  I do like the feature of auto band switching and frequency tracking.  With RF sensing one still has to perform one extra step.  Any mistake there could be detrimental on a SS amplifier.

The new Alpha tuner looks interesting so is the price.  They are literally just down the street from me.  Perhaps I'll go there to check it out once it's released.

Jonathan W6GX
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »

I second what Jonathan W6GX writes about the MFJ-998.  More often than not this tuner will provide a 1.5-1.3 to 1 match even if you set the target SWR in the menu to look for a 1.1 to 1 match.  I can easily fine tune it to a 1 to 1 match on all bands (160-10) except 12 meters (1.4 to 1) best match.  My antenna is a 160 meter OCFD.  I frequently run 1KW SSB for rag chewing and 800 watts RTTY for amplifier tuneup purposes (all bands) no issues.  I was skeptical about purchasing this tuner because of general quality control issues but I have been pleasantly surprised.  If this tuner continues to work like it does now it will be a winner in my book.

73, BJ
k0cwo       
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »

I have been using the 998 for about a year, I purchased it so I could use my Swan MKII amp on 17 & 12 with a 2 element 20/15/10 quad as well as get the SWR down on the low end of 10. It has been perfect including 2 contests where I could hop anywhere and have a perfect match with no tuning. It interfaces with my FT1000MP for instant tuning and is very fast, the memory feature is great. I was concerned about getting it because of what I had read in reviews but sure glad I did.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »

If you get the chance grab a Palstar AT Auto like the others have suggested. I see them on here going for about $1000 from time to time. They are workhorses and Don Kessler supports the crap out of it.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: