Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW DX Question  (Read 2090 times)
W8CQU

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »

I have been around for a while but I am not a seasoned DX’er.  I enjoy operating CW and lately I’ve been noticing something I am a little uncomfortable with so I thought I would ask about it.  After answering a DX station, the usual occurs, he sends my signal report, his location and name and turns it back to me.  I do the same, turn it over, where he replies with his rig, antenna, possibly the weather but then he thanks me for the QSO, sends 73, some times a dit dit and turns it over again.  This is where I am confused.  Is he expecting to hear the same from me or is our QSO over?  This has happened several times now so I would really like to know if anyone else has been experiencing this and how you handle it.  I have just been answering with a thank you, 73 and been signing off.  I am looking forward to hearing your comment's.  Paul/W8CQU
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »

If the other station tells you about his rig, antenna and power, he shouldn't be unhappy if you do the same. Yet, some people like to elaborate a little more about it than what I'd like to hear. I typically just send something like "kw es 3el [at 100 ft]". It doesn't really matter whether I am running a FTdx9000 or a FT450; of course in case of some very special transceiver it may be of interest, but typically it isn't.

Just be brief (as one should always be in CW) and reduce redundancy, and everyone should be happy.

gd dx!

Fabian

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »

DX stations fall into a few different categories, I think.

English-speakers (having fluency in English) are often more receptive to a longer contact, even a rag chew, since it's their language.  Non-English speakers may only know enough English for a "typical ham radio contact," which is pretty brief because going outside those boundaries it's possible to lose them with too many words.

Those trying work work as many stations as possible in whatever time they have will operate more like it's a contest, even when it's not.

I think some also find a fading signal to be a signal that the band's about to close, so "this may be it," and next transmission might be in the noise.  This especially seems to happen for gray-line contacts, since the band really can collapse very quickly.

I always figure if I called CQ and the other station answered me, it's up to me to determine what happens next; if I answer someone else, it's up to him!

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »

The way I see it is if HE has two "transmissions" (#1 for RST/name/QTH) and #2 for rig/wx), then YOU should have two transmissions the same way. I assume they tell me about THEIR weather because they want to know about mine. Like Fabian, I find it strange when people tell me they are running a K3 or an FT-1000 or a TS-590S. 100 watts is 100 watts. I tell them my POWER and antenna, I think that is the only important thing (if they want to know WHY I am loud or weak). Now if I am using one of my old boatanchors that chirps like crazy I DO tell them it is a DX-20 or a DX-40.

paul
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

Correct Paul,

I am not at all interested in the code names of their appliances.  Power and antenna is what I want to know.

My personal opinion is that appliances in a shack are a shame for amateur radio.

Next step is that technical license examination is void, only law regulations and showing practice with your own appliance tuner and dummyload will be required, and the appliance will be  sealed, when seal broken you are penalized by FCC.

I am a ham radio amateur, that means that I have the right and the plight to build my own equipment as a method of personal technical education. No appliances in this shack here.

It is even prohibited formally to transmit the brand and type of an appliance  because it is a kind of commercial use of the ham bands to cry out what brand of car you ride, and also what kind of appliance you use in order to get your sigs in the air.

73 Bob

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »

There is nothing illegal about telling someone over the air the brand of radio or equipment you`re using. That is not advertizing. Unless you make a living by selling radio equipment,not just selling a radio or equipment over the air. You show me where in part 97 it is illegal to say what brand of radio you`re using.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »

I will generally follow the DX's lead, and if he wants to keep it short, I will keep it short. If he wants to ragchew, I will ragchew.

Lately, if it's common DX, and he comes back with just 599, I will generally give him at least an honest RST and my name, and see if he wants to lengthen it out a bit. Sometimes he'll give me his name, other times not and very very occasionally it will turn into a ragchew.

You WILL find there are many DX stations that are willing to have a nice chat if you give them a chance, but most will just keep it short.

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: