Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember SWLing when it was fun?  (Read 78984 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »

Whatsup Dave-I think your post #5 got me going. I see your angle on this looking at the hate prop as "entertainment" that's cool-but for me, I refuse to listen to habana because their rhetoric pisses me off. Korea's garbage speak in horrendously applied English is flat annoying so I cannot stick there much either-to each his own I guess. I got you wrong with post 5 because you sounded like it all went away to the net and that's what I chimed in about.
Me personally, I get more than my fill of America hate off the TV. I don't want it coming in on the wire too.
73-Frank
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »

Whatsup Dave-I think your post #5 got me going. I see your angle on this looking at the hate prop as "entertainment" that's cool-but for me, I refuse to listen to habana because their rhetoric pisses me off. Korea's garbage speak in horrendously applied English is flat annoying so I cannot stick there much either-to each his own I guess. I got you wrong with post 5 because you sounded like it all went away to the net and that's what I chimed in about.
Me personally, I get more than my fill of America hate off the TV. I don't want it coming in on the wire too.
73-Frank

Yes, TV has gone to pot of late, well, it has always been pretty bad, but once "Reality" programming came to be, it went in the Shi##er fast...  Not to worry...  E-Mail always makes things sound different than the author intended...  I could have not been clear...  For me, the rhetoric always seemed so far out it was funny, I developed a love of it at about age 15 or so...  Never lost it, and I am 60 now...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

+1! I made a vow to never ever sit down to "honeybooboo". Ever. To me, the material in that show brings TV to an all time low and it opens the door for more scumbags to get their fat faces on TV. I'd rather watch an old sitcom rerun 25 times but that's me. I know a couple of what I consider "respectable" people who say they just can't take their eyes off that show-go figure. Funny thing, I pay good money for cable, but I'm in front of the radios more than the TV. I'm 51 here so kinda the same generation as you-I can't always comprehend what this country's turning out to be.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »

yeah...  The concept of a show called Honey Boo Boo scares me...  I worked in Television, (Broadcast Engineer), for 20 years or so.  I got my fill of TV in that time frame...  About the only "odd" show I like is South Park...  If you actually watch it, you will discover they are actually very conservative.  It took me a few episodes to realize this...  Then they go nuts about every 5th one...  Smiley...

Thanks,
Dave
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

goofy cartoon for sure-for me it's news, Raymond, old sitcoms and hopes they'll throw me a bone now&then...and thank God for this radio thing!!
73-Frank
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »

ABC has a Tim Allen show, (can't for the life of me remember the name now), one about an outdoor store...  The main character is Tim Allen, and he is a Ham, both in real life, and in the show...  If you look, there are all sorts of ham things around...  QSL cards, ARRL Handbooks, mics, etc...  The show is actually good as well...

Thanks,
Dave
WK2E

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »

Talking about 'rewards', Radio Berlin International sent me a hardbound book listing all the former Nazis working in West Germany.  Strangely, there seem to have been no former Nazis working in East Germany.  Radio Peking sent a copy of Mao's Little Red Book.  And Radio Havana Cuba sent me monthly log sheets to fill out and lots of extra postcards and other stuff.  I still remember how they excitedly announced, 'Esta es Radio Habana Cuba, transmitiendo desde CUBA'.  All this was back in the mid 60's.  After I left for college, my dad found all this stuff and got mad as , well you know.  Threw it all out.  Yes, those were fun days.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »

I remember how excited I was when I got an official reception report confirmation back from
WWV back in the mid-60's!!! Got all kinds of printed info from them too.
Then, I started sending reports to other shortwave stations and accumulated
even more stuff.  Then I got a QSL card from some ham in Arkansas. ( I was surprised
that he even responded to my reception report) And from there things went downhill !
 Grin
 Got the bug to become an Amateur Radio operator, but, wasn't until the early 70's that
that happened. (amazing how wife and kids have to come first !)
Still enjoy SWL , but, it doesn't seem near what I remembered from my younger days.
james
WD5GWY
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »

Talking about 'rewards', Radio Berlin International sent me a hardbound book listing all the former Nazis working in West Germany.  Strangely, there seem to have been no former Nazis working in East Germany.  Radio Peking sent a copy of Mao's Little Red Book.  And Radio Havana Cuba sent me monthly log sheets to fill out and lots of extra postcards and other stuff.  I still remember how they excitedly announced, 'Esta es Radio Habana Cuba, transmitiendo desde CUBA'.  All this was back in the mid 60's.  After I left for college, my dad found all this stuff and got mad as , well you know.  Threw it all out.  Yes, those were fun days.

I believe I still have one of Mao's little red books from Radio Piking...  I never got the current Nazis book however...  One time my postman, who was somewhat to the right of Darth Vader, asked me what all the "Commie" stuff was I was getting...  I looked at him and said, "not your business comrade." with a slight Russian accent...  I was about 15 at the time, and he must have been 50 or so... He turned on his heal and walked away...  He never said another word to me or my family...  After 50 years, I still get a kick out of that incident...  In his defense, I was getting a lot of Radio Moscow, Radio Peking, and Radio Habana propaganda at the time...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:14:00 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
SWL535

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Yes....glued to my Hallicrafters XS-25 Super Defiant. I loved that old boat anchor.
Mind you it hadn't really reached the Boat Anchor moniker in 1959 when I got it
for Xmas. :-)

Ken

White Rock, BC Canada
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »

Honey Boo Boo and Teen Mom sort of scrape the bottom of the barrel. To me, Teen Mom is downright evil, have a baby at 17 and neglect it to party, do drugs, and get into fights, and have Grandma actually raising the kid, AND get paid big bucks for doing so, which then enables the teen mom to get a breast job and go out partying with more money than an 18 year old female can handle. I'm surprised that they haven't killed any of the young women yet, either by drugs or by outright suicide. Amber Portwood probably came the closest to meeting her maker, if she hadn't gone to prison she would have died. I sold my TV a few years ago, I don't miss it a bit. My mom likes daytime talk like Dr. Phil and his endless parade of 800 lb people. My dad watches old war movies. I get my news from the net and from local radio, and that's all I'm really interested in. I have the net and my radios, and I'm happy. I have autism and mental illness so I can't work.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »

Remember the days when:

1.  Radio Moscow used to send you "awards"?
2.  Radio Peking existed?
3.  The woodpecker?
4.  The rhetoric on SW was a hoot to listen too?
     a.  "The american government preys on it's people like insects" sort of banter...
     b.  Vlad Posner of Radio Moscow?
     c.  Pretty much anything out of Radio Peking.
5.  A simple antenna would work, you did not need a multiband antenna, you just put up a long wire.
6.  A simple radio would work?
7.  You were young!
8.  Box 88

I miss those days a lot now...

In Short, YES!!!!..... Roll Eyes Cry Roll Eyes Cry....It's what got me into ham radio in the first place.....

V
KA3NRX
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

Are there any stations really left anymore, or did most of them go to Internet delivery?  I do so miss them...  Been doing pirates for the past few years...

Still quite a few left, but most of the old-time Europeans are gone, and those that remain broadcast mostly to Africa and Asia.  The BBC, VOA, Deutche Welle, Voice of Russia (Radio Moscow), CRI (Radio Peking), All India Radio, Radio Japan, Radio Australia, Radio New Zealand, and a few others are still around from the good old days.  And of course, the American religious broadcasters and Radio Habana Cuba are almost omnipresent.

But the old 120/90/60 meter broadcasters from South America are almost all gone now, having moved to FM.  Still some in Africa and Asia, though.  But what I don't understand is why the FCC is now allowing American religious stations to use those frequencies.  They have never been authorized for broadcast use in the US.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

The lack of domestic shortwave was because of the terrible policy of forbidding American broadcasters to use shortwave to reach a domestic audience - by regulation.  This was done waaaaay back in the beginning of US domestic broadcasting for profit, to give the networks a defacto monopoly.  What a shame.  This is such a large continent that continental broadcasting on shortwave a la Europe and Asia would have been a tremendous boon for the people - rather than for the few short range AM/FM stations in the network matrix. At present, many domestic shortwave stations are -cough cough- 'international', and in fact this is true, in that they can be heard internationally.  However, even for these stations, shortwave radio listeners are still pretty rare in the USA, compared to those who know no better than to listen to the usual rubbish on the AM/FM dial.

When I had shortwave in the car, I used to listen to it.  Now that I have a different car - I rarely have the radio on at all. It's a puppet show - and I get the feeling that WE'RE the puppets.  IMHO

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »

I cut my SWL teeth on my grandparents tube set and then followed a misspent childhood yearning for a Zenith Trans Oceanic which I eventually got with the earnings from two summers (still on my shelf).  College got me a beautiful Hallicrafters SX-25 purchased from the ham across the hall (still on the shelf) and too many more radios that have come and gone.  I don't know which I miss more, the old stations world wide or the equipment.  I still look at the old Allied and Lafayette catalogs and dream.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: