Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Kenwood 990 is for achievers, the educated and the affluent  (Read 11280 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »

No need to turn on the radio for meaningless drivel, there is plenty in this thread.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »

Jeez, can nobody take a joke anymore!? I clearly saw the original post as a tongue in cheek which obviously slipped by those that took such offense. If this truly offends you then I highly suggest you not come to my my workplace for employment, we sling insults back and forth everyday that make this thread pale in comparison. Grow a little thicker skin.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »

Come on guys give the trolls and soap box orators a break,we all occasionally need a little comic relief, just relate it to the Super Bowl ads-mostly BS and a vain attempt to get your attention.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »

8k is a good chunk of cash, but not out of the realm of what many folks spend on hobbies. Same price as a base Yamaha Waverunner. A little more than a new Moto Guzzi Stone. Half the price of a small travel trailer. $666.66/mo for a year. $22/day for a year. Three 70" HDTV sets. A top of the line Trek mountain bike. Two Winchester 101 Diamond Grade shotguns. A Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III with decent tripod and case. A Celestron CGE PRO 1100 HD.

Some guy ride a Sporty. Some guys ride a Street Glide. Some guys ride Hondas. Some guys don't ride.

It's all good.

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »

Jeez, can nobody take a joke anymore!? I clearly saw the original post as a tongue in cheek which obviously slipped by those that took such offense.

Naw!  It didn't slip by me but you gotta' realize that he just sounds so much like the Romneys that I just couldn't help getting a bit hostile all over again.  I had thought that that comedy act (or, was it a tragedy?) was over and done with way back in November!  Just kind of a disappointment, I guess!
Tom
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:46:00 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

Jeez, can nobody take a joke anymore!? I clearly saw the original post as a tongue in cheek which obviously slipped by those that took such offense. ........ Grow a little thicker skin.

I have to agree.  First of all, nobody is that condescending on purpose, not even people that are condescending.  Second, nobody is that condescending by accident either. 

That being said, wa4d is quite clever in that he's provoked a small firestorm (if such a thing is possible) with his original, and subsequent, missives. I have no doubt that was his intent.

I submit he's just a warped frustrated old man, to coin a phrase.

I actually find him and his ilk quite amusing.

Mike from New Yawk

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
KD8W

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »

As I have offered elsewhere, the TS-990 in my view is a paridigm shift in operating concept. Some critics offer one line rejection of the radio without marshaling a case for their view.  Poor writing is the norm among hams.

That said, most Hams are not sophisticated enough to engage the TS-990 to it's potential. Nor will they be able to respond to the radio's  operational enhancements and nuance.  It is analogous to a truck driver going to the Getty (Art Museum) or MOMA in NYC. For the most part, the working class and uneducated have little interest in Art.. So it is proper that this radio is built for the affluent and sophisticated operator.

(Just as an Art museum has classes for appreciation and engagement of Art, so should Kenwood offer same to Hams who have scant experience or understanding of how to engage a high end feature rich radio). Especially since most Hams use sub $2000 entry radios that are passed off as faux base stations. (i.e. TS590, FT 950, etc.) The radios  these hams are accustomed to are less expensive and primitive. A proper rig for the vast majority of hams.  (Though my guess is most 990 buyers will be sophisticated users. But some will try to come in the back door. they always do.)

Here in America, Socio-Economic standing is often measured by possessions. Our culture invented the mass market and conspicuous consumption. We have youth who shoot and kill each other over a pair of athletic shoes. The average American household carries thousands of dollars in debt often to buy goods they don't need. Many hams subscribe to these practices as well.

Material possessions in the US are a mark of success or lack thereof. Homes, autos, clothes, jewelry,etc. And yes, Class matters. Though we may differ on the definition of the structure. Some hams dismiss new expensive radios, because of their low economic status and inability to afford the radio. Class resentment is not a mirage as sociological studies have shown. It drives politics, attitudes and behavior. Indeed it defines entire groups (sometimes unfairly)

The critics of the 990  are most often found to be from the lower operating classes and are hams who have little experience with high end radios. Though I have no authoritative metrics, many self admitted Hams of modest means have declared they cannot afford the 990. 

The majority of Hams  can't write a check for $8000+. (It is a hobby after all)  If an $8000 discretionary spending decision will impact your life, requires pleading with a spouse or will be a financial burden, then clearly this radio is not for you. But this is America, where many live financially reckless lives and borrow to have what they can't afford.  Give it up and get a TS-520. You'll still have fun. And it's your proper place!

Comments welcome!

Cheers from LA

I'm a truck driver and have been to both the Getty and MOMA. (and yes, I know what MOMA means) Occupation does not necessarily equate to education or intelligence.
  Your remarks are very condescending and I'm sure you will get plenty of responses. A radio
that is as expensive as the TS-990 will sound no different than any other radio on the other end
of a qso. What people wish to spend their money on is their business. Even if they cannot afford it.  Maybe you should form an elite Amateur forum that only wealthy people such as yourself
can participate in. That way, you won't have to lower yourself to read the remarks of the masses!
 Roll Eyes

james
WD5GWY

"hear hear..James, I agree with you!"
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 04:28:06 AM »

Entertainment forum ??

A big E for for effort for the abilities of certain posters to express both their lack of technical knowledge and self perceived standing on the social/economic ladder and whose only outlet to prove themselves worthy appears to be a little known internet forum.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 05:59:52 AM »

"LA mike " is laughing all the way to the bank if he is paid by thread longevity.

WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »

What an absolutely arrogant bunch of crap.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

What an absolutely arrogant bunch of crap.
Just as the OP intended it to be!
And as someone prior to your post pointed out, if he's getting paid in some manner for
bringing attention to the new 990, then he has succeeded quite well!
Actually, I think it was more fun and games than anything else. Certainly wasn't worth
getting upset over. And even though he used a high handed approach, one point he did
make is quite relevant in some way. Why complain about something you are unlikely never
to buy? Those that can justify buying such an expensive radio will, and those that cannot
won't. But, carrying on about it endlessly(bashing the radio over it's high price) seems to be
a waste of time. But, given that we are all human, it is not surprising.
Just something to ponder.  Grin
james
WD5GWY

Oh, and I would love to have one too! Along with a Flex 6700 whenever those show up!
(but, very unlikely to happen till either I win the lottery or the next big thing comes along
and kills the sale of those two rigs)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:16:29 PM by WD5GWY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »

....First of all, nobody is that condescending on purpose, not even people that are condescending.  Second, nobody is that condescending by accident either.  

That being said, wa4d is quite clever in that he's provoked a small firestorm (if such a thing is possible) with his original, and subsequent, missives. I have no doubt that was his intent.

I submit he's just a warped frustrated old man, to coin a phrase.

I actually find him and his ilk quite amusing.

This thread is just WA4D being WA4D.  As was said, he loves to shovel it just to see what can be provoked.  One thing for sure--he does bring chuckles...sometimes.
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »

WA4D,

I do have some questions.  I have been to the art museums of NYC and elsewhere.  I have quite enjoyed them.  I was lucky to have a received an education via support of our government.  While I would not call myself affluent,  I could I suppose write a check for the TS-990 since I do not have to worry about sending kids to college.  I have worked in an EMC lab.  So I suppose I could be qualified to own a TS-990 (I admit,  I have not looked at the application).   However I have been looking at the high end Yaesu radios (The FT DX900 series looks nice).  Does that just make me nouveau riche instead?  Or since most likely I will just keep using my FT-897D,  can I just claim to be a hipster?

KI4ENS
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

This is nothing new.  How long ago did the DX crowd annoint themselves as "the deserving" because of their wonderfulness which only they can describe?  I use all Ten-Tec gear and a GAP vertical ALL MADE IN AMERICA.  THAT puts me heads and shoulders above this guy.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »

I thought that this was supposed to be a hobby but sometimes I wonder.  There are those that have disposable income and they usually sit and read this stuff and seldom comment.  They are using the likes of Rhode & Schwarz or Harris.  Myself, I like the Harris Falcon.  These are all made in the  US of A.  A bit pricy but they do work.
Art, N9AOP
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: