The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for access hole in 2008 Dodge Ram 1500  (Read 2815 times)
N8EUI

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »

Hey there everyone,
I want to install a two meter rig in my '08 Dodge Ram. Does anyone know of any firewall access holes to snake a power line to the cab interior?

Thanks,
Tom, N8EUI
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »

I don't know if I'm going to be any help as that motor was not sold in the UK (There are some but they were private imports).
I was wondering if it was sold as a right hand drive (Australia?)

My own thought is to look at the brake pedal where it goes through the bulkhead / firewall.
There might be room to put another hole in the rubber to thread the DC wire through

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
N8EUI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

Hi G8YMW,
No, it's a left hand drive truck. However, now that you mention it, I do recall reading about a pre-drilled hole near the brake master cylinder with a grommet. I'll look there to see if that holds true.

Thanks,
Tom, N8EUI
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »

Several generations of the Ram have been equippped with an access hole.  It is there for the clutch mechanism if you have a manual transmission.  For auto trans, the hole is covered with a plastic plate that snaps into to the hole.  It is located just beside the brake booster.  You should be able to see the round hole from under the dash.  Its very possible that plug is covered on the engine side of the firewall with a foil covered tar patch.  I know Ford has covered their plastic plug cover with a similar tar patch perhaps to conform with new safety requirements.  From the passenger compartment, the hole is up pretty high, so look carefully.  It could be covered over with insulation, and may have just a perforation in the facing.  Also, for what it's worth, my 2nd generation Ram had plugs on the floor pan on either seat, so that could be another possibility.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:56:09 PM by K3GM » Logged
N8EUI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

Thanks K3GM for the info. I'll check it out this weekend.
'73, N8EUI
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

I have a 2007 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab & I punched out one of the metal plugs under the rear seat on the drivers side.I have my coax cables & power cables running thru it.I also cut the carpet a bit so all of those cables could be brought into the cab from that punched out hole.It has been this way since 207 just after I purchased the truck New.I use wire ties where the cables & wires enter the truck body under the truck & inside the cab under the seat once they have entered the cab so it keeps tension on them & keeps them together.Works well for me with a little room to spare if more cables or wires are needed later.  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
N8EUI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »

Thanks, Clayton for the idea. I'll give it a try.
Tom, N8EUI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: