Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to widen IF bandwidth on Yaesu FT990?  (Read 5678 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »

Does anyone know of any wider SSB filters for the FT990? I belie the stock filter is a 2.4KHz, would like to widen out to about 2.8 or 3 KHz if possible.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:21:57 AM by VE3TMT » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »

I would just call H.R.O. and ask them. If there are wider filters I`m sure they`re still available.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »

International Radio used to have fitting filters: http://www.inrad.net/home.php
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:58 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, lots of filters available to narrow it down but I don't see any wider filters available. My radio has all four filters in it, but I find the 2.4KHz filter just a bit too muddy for my liking. Used to the Kenwoods I guess!

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »

"Muddy"?

That could be a function of your microphone mating with the Yaesu.  A little high-end enhancement with a cheap EQ outboard could brighten up the 2.4khz audio to make it more intelligible on the transmit side, on receive an outboard speaker with tone controls might help as well.
It doesn't surprise me that there are no good wider filters available.  The FT-990 was sold as a dxer's delight.
They didn't want wide, only narrow and punchy.

greg

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

WAIT!
Is it the transmit or receive that you find to narrow?
(I have a 990)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, lots of filters available to narrow it down but I don't see any wider filters available. My radio has all four filters in it, but I find the 2.4KHz filter just a bit too muddy for my liking. Used to the Kenwoods I guess!

2.4 is plenty wide. Nice thing about analog IF rigs is that you can usually use IF shift to center bandpass to your liking. I think your audio sound is more the product of a 990 receiver than the filter width. It will never sound like a "kenwood"

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: