Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly TWO Months now......  (Read 4681 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »

Since ZL9HR, the most recent expedition of any size.

Nothing announced for 2013 so far.

Will 2013 be a Bust, expedition wise?

Predicted Cycle 24 Max in 2013, but nothing planned?

Not even a juicy rumor.

Bored.

Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

You mean you can't find anything of interest here: http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/adxo.html
??

I have 332 current entities confirmed and over 2100 Challenge points, and I'm still having fun.

Chuck  NI0C
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

Clipperton TX5K March 2013.

Not super rare, but will certainly get a ton of attention.

http://www.cordell.org/CI/index.html

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
There are hams that work DX, then there are serious DXers!
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »

I seem to recall Paul,  N6PSE, hinting that there might be something in the works from the Intrepid Group.

Frank,  W1NK
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »

Single ops dxpeditions and resident hams have provided me with new ones this year. I had set a very low expectation and so far I'm very pleased with how things went in the first month. With that being said it's a bit not seeing big announcements. My guess is that when it finally rains it will pour Grin

Jonathan W6GX
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »

Agreed, good results so far this year: juicy bandfills in January = JD1BMH (30), JT1CO (40), PY0F/PP1CZ (40),  EY8MM (80), TZ6BB (15), and four new ones on 160.

It's not like last January with four ATNO (HK0NA, VK0TH, C21HA, TN2T), but I am NOT complaining this year.

I think we were spoiled last year.  So much DX in 2012 really set the bar high in terms of expectations.

I will keep putting down more radial wire and doing DX dances in the shack to the DX gods, and something good will come to those who are deserving.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »

Gene/AF3Y, how about sending some of that sunny weather further north?  And can you do something to help with the sunspots?  You are closer, right?   Grin

I hope the lower sunspot cycle is not deterring any DXpeditions.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:05 AM »

Clipperton TX5K March 2013.

Not super rare, but will certainly get a ton of attention.

http://www.cordell.org/CI/index.html

Anybody who has been around a few cycles has Clipperton worked on many bands.  

This is supposed to be a warmup for the Heard Island expedition but it is a substantial outlay of funds and I don't understand why they must go to Clipperton in order to activate Heard. The only reason I have heard, which makes no sense at all, is the team leader always works expeditions in pairs. Why must he work expeditions in pairs when the cost for Heard seemingly goes up every day and is currently at $1.5 million?

Since the Heard island expedition will cost over 7 figures I would save the money which will be spent on Clipperton for the Heard trip.

The Clipperton trip makes no sense to me when one factors in how difficult it is to raise money from the DX community.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:09:27 AM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »

Since ZL9HR, the most recent expedition of any size.

Nothing announced for 2013 so far.

Will 2013 be a Bust, expedition wise?

Predicted Cycle 24 Max in 2013, but nothing planned?

Not even a juicy rumor.

Bored.

Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y

You aren't going to work a new one every week or every month when one is at your level of countries worked.

I picked up two bandfills today and was very content.

Most Dxers are not ragchewers. I have lately been getting a lot of satisfaction from simply ragchewing with stations I would normally exchange a report with.

Gene, I think it's time you adapt, otherwise you will stop putting on the rig unless a new one is on.  There are many facets to ham radio and I think you need to find a new one.

Chris/NU1O
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »

Well, I'm at 335 confirmed and 1610 for challenge so it isnt getting any easier for me either.  While patiently waiting for Heard, other than band-fills I've been passing the time working on DXCC Digital, which I've never had.  But that's not going last longas a near-full time endeavor - I'm at 99 worked and 42 confirmed in 28 days.

I had a Ham friend sk me once what I'd do after I've worked him all.  I told him I'd probably have to stoop to county hunting or quilting or some other nefaious activity.

73 All,

Don, K2DC
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:16:46 AM »

I just worked ZK3T for an ATNO and a new one on 80!  Sure beats listening to noise on 15/12 meters.  Wink  I already have Clipperton and Heard on 20, but I sure could use them for my 80M DXCC. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:28:53 AM by W1VT » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:25 AM »

The Clipperton trip makes no sense to me when one factors in how difficult it is to raise money from the DX community.

I remember reading up somewhere that it was a package deal from the boat operator?  Perhaps Rich could elaborate some more.

I agree that it could be somewhere else besides Clipperton.  However at your level of countries worked anything you haven't worked are difficult to access.

Jonathan W6GX
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »

For the time being I'm living vicariously thru everyone here on this topic...last week a 40+ pine took out my MA8040V(+30) and half of my reversible 15M inverted V array!  Replacement parts on the vertical are 1-2 weeks out and I've yet to get the time to rehang the VK "leg" of the array.

Keep the info and stories comin'!

Frank, W1NK

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »

That is too bad--the gusty wind last week in CT was pretty nasty.

Hopefully we will have a well timed warm spell so you can get everything back up quickly!

Zack W1VT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »

Anybody who has been around a few cycles has Clipperton worked on many bands.  
Chris - you should email KK6EK - or (especially), Chris, DL1MGB.

DX-pedition leaders look at many sources and poll many different groups of people - and also make sure each dx-pedition has the interest (willing team members to pay their way - which is the lions share of funding a dx-pedition) before choosing where to go. I wouldn't worry that it takes anything away from Heard island - it doesn't.

I was actually quite surprised at the interest in Clipperton. And I have worked the last three weekends at the Cordell Expeditions warehouse helping pack up TX5K and doing web based tasks - (even though I only need it on 160M and 6M). I'm excited for the team and anyone who still needs it - for an ATNO or band fill. While working on this, I realize that I was just like all of the DX-ers who might have either just gotten into the chase now - or re-activated after many years off. Imagine all of the rare one's I missed between 1977 - 2001! Since they were easily able to fill the Shogun boat with team members for Clipperton, then it has the requisite "momentum needed".

I also know dx-pedition leaders don't come to eHam to ask "Gee, what does KY6R need . . . " and then make their decisions based around that (dammit, they SHOULD) . . .  Grin

If they would - they could even just go to my QRZ.COM page and see the last 9 that I need. . . . and would activate all 9 of these before Cycle 24 slides down the dumper. I would be sooooooo excited to see an announcement for Kingman Reef and Navassa!

Heard Island is a very different proposition - and it has HUGE interest. It will have a very different "challenge" than Clipperton. Believe me.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:16:17 AM by KY6R » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: