Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper APRS program for iPad?  (Read 13178 times)
GJ7LJJ

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »

Now that Redpark are marketing an Apple-approved serial connector for the iPad, I sincerely hope that someone will write a PROPER iPad APRS app, i.e one that allows the iPad to connect to/control a radio (as well as connecting to the Internet).  If you'd are an iPad developer, you know your next task! The APRS apps which only connect to the Net, are all well and good, but it's not REAL APRS!!  Nigel GJ7LJJ, Is. of Jersey
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »

The big issue is that the Redpark Cable / Serial SDK cannot be used for applications deployed via the iTunes App Store.
Check the Redpark website. So what this means is that you are free to develop your own app "in house" but you can't distribute it. That will sure put a damper on developing this sort of app !

Michael VE3WMB

Now that Redpark are marketing an Apple-approved serial connector for the iPad, I sincerely hope that someone will write a PROPER iPad APRS app, i.e one that allows the iPad to connect to/control a radio (as well as connecting to the Internet).  If you'd are an iPad developer, you know your next task! The APRS apps which only connect to the Net, are all well and good, but it's not REAL APRS!!  Nigel GJ7LJJ, Is. of Jersey
N1KCG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:13 AM »

am working towards using a BYONICS TINYTRAK 4 and its accessory bluetooth adapter, with the IPAD to just communicate APRS using a terminal app. 

need to do a few more tests, and get the message structure correct, so that terminal communication can work.

then just need to copy and past messages, and edit messages before sending them.

should work eventually.
N5WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:04:50 AM »

... I sincerely hope that someone will write a PROPER iPad APRS app, i.e one that allows the iPad to connect to/control a radio (as well as connecting to the Internet).  If you'd are an iPad developer, you know your next task! The APRS apps which only connect to the Net, are all well and good, but it's not REAL APRS!!  Nigel GJ7LJJ, Is. of Jersey

Jamie, there ARE two apps that work well for APRS using the Ipad:
   I-PSK31 and   PSK34
I'm using PSKer on my Gen4 IPad using Joshua Zindello VK3XJM's PSK interface.

Check it out: http://www.zindello.com.au/wordpress/2012/07/10/psk31-on-the-ipad/#comment-861
KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »

Sure it's real.  What do you think an iPhone or iPad is? A TRANSCEIVER !!!

How?  Simple.  Let's simplify things by using the iPhone.

The iPhone (Like any other cell phone - Smart or not) TX/RX somewhere up in the Ghz. bands (I believe it's around the 5 Ghz. region if I'm not mistaken though someone can correct me on that Smiley ).  The Internet itself also TX/RX somewhere around that same region.  Routers also operate up there (I know for a fact because I have a Dual Band router)

Guess what - ANY LICENSED HAM CAN GET ON THOSE BANDS !!!

All you need is an outlet to get on the Ham bands and you're all set.  In this case, it's an APRS app.  I don't know what's out there for iOS devices but I use APRSDroid since I own an Android.  Once I start it, I'm logged onto the APRS network through the local I-GATE & from there my call goes out to the world on the APRS network (In fact, I'm beaconing now as KB0OXD-5 - Feel free to send me a message via APRS Smiley )

So to say that APRS via an iOS device (Or any other non-Amateur device) is somehow not "Real" APRS is just a myth.  That's just like saying the device isn't a Transceiver.  We all know that to be a lie because IF IT EMITS RF - IT IS A TRANSCEIVER !!!

The fact ithe RF is digital & not analog doesn't matter.  The fact you're using your smartphone (Or in your case your iPad) ALSO doesn't matter.  What DOES matter is that it's a device that emits RF on a band which Hams have LEGAL ACCESS TO !!!

Now if you wanna argue the Rules & Regs, we can argue that till we're blue in the face & not get anywhere.  Hams have been trying to use this trick FOR GENERATIONS to argue against EVERY new "Fandangle" snazzy way of "Hamming It Up" & HAVE YET to get anywhere with it.  So why bother trying?  You're only engaging in an act of futility Smiley *LOL!*

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 Grin

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: