Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new guy ?'s  (Read 2229 times)
RONPIERCE1

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

Hello all I been lurking and learning and enjoying the site..Also I have the book and studying for the tech lic. I have a few questions for you all..
so far I gather the largest group on ham is on 2m and probly is the largest most spread out repeater system is for 2m..I am wondering what is the distance you would rely on to communicate with someone else on 2m without a repeater..with your typical 50-75 watt with proper antenna etc, mobile rig..and I am wondering if the extra magnetic mount I have for CB radio would be the same threads as the stick antenna for 2m ham..I know both have the magnetic mounts but not sure if they are interchangeable..right now I am considering the YAESU
FT-2900R for my first radio, mobile and in home.
Thanks
Ron
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:20:20 PM by RONPIERCE1 » Logged
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »

Depends mostly on terrain and where the two antennas are.  Line of sight for two antennas up 5 feet (car mounted) is 6 miles for the radio horizon.  If one of the stations is a home station, you can easily triple that.  If I were to drive to a mountaintop the range might be 60 miles or more.  In the town I live in, mobile to mobile is usually possible within 10 miles but there are "bad spots" in there.  So you have to define what "rely" means to you. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »

Ron, it might help to find your local ham club(s) and go to a few meetings.  Most hams are delighted to have new people show up, and they'll have a lot of helpful information about what radio is like in your local area.  73 GL!
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »

Ron,
As you've already gathered, there's not really a reliable distance/range that can be guaranteed.  The only one I'd bet on at all would be that if you can see'em you could -probably- talk to them.  Too many 'variables' for a 'sure thing'.  Something like 10 miles is a fair 'guestimate', but don't bet the farm on it, you know?
 - 'Doc
RONPIERCE1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »

thanks all, I got the 2900 with 5/8 antenna installed and operating, I figure I will upgrade so for now I got the single band till I figure out for sure which to upgrade to, I know it be HF..I have a guy here helping me, and will hookup with our club soon and take the test in April.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: