Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible scam using call KE4EPT  (Read 3116 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »

I posted an ad on another site looking for an MFJ-1025/1026 or ANC-4 noise canceler. I received an email from a ham using the call KE4EPT. Right away the language threw up a flag:

Hello ,
How is your day going?
I saw your WTB advert,that's why am sending this mail.
I have MFJ-1025  up for sale in an excellent condition.
Looking to read back from you soonest.

Just for fun I asked him if he could send a picture and what was his asking price (not telling me his asking price in first reply was another flag). He responded with a picture, and the following:

100% working condition with minor scratches to the top of the cabinet.Comes with power cord and copy of manual.
100$ shipped.

So on a whim I decided to search the net for the picture and found the exact same picture and ad text from an ad posted on this site in 2010 (unit sold). I emailed the "seller" back and told him I found the exact same picture from an ad in 2010, his response was:

I dont have a pic of mine for now... and that 1 looks looks exactly like mine.

Just for fun I asked him where he wants the money order mailed and what is his name. We'll see what he comes back with.

Beware!

WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »

It is a scam. Some scams are better than others as some of these people speak and write English better. It seems I get at least several of these a month and usually just ignore them and delete them. As there are thousands of call signs and millions of pictures this scam will go on for a long time to come. I don't see the need to post every time it happens as it is so common now, the big tip offs are poor English and wanting you to send money via Western Union. No need to even answer them back ( unless you want to have some fun and string them along for awhile ) .
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »

Well I figure for the few minutes it takes to alert other hams, it's worth my time.

I really don't mind. Sorry my post took a few minutes out of your day.
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:19:57 AM »

Oops. I just got the same email today, but replace the item with "32V".

Philip
KA4KOE
W8MIS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »

Yep just got a email today for a want I had on QTH  he did'nt use the email thru QTH he found my other email and replyed there same format.  I asked him for a pic and price asked.  I found out for sure it was a scam by the original post here!

Thanks Riley
W9LVM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »

Got the same scam today and something just did not sound right!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »

...I don't see the need to post every time it happens as it is so common now, the big tip offs are poor English and wanting you to send money via Western Union....

Let's see...  Maybe someone else didn't see the posts made the prior time.  Maybe this scammer is new in one way or the other.  A lot of maybes, but even though the scam has happened before, I'd rather waste a couple of minutes than get burned by something that slipped by.  Some well known rip-off artists don't need repeated postings, but these lesser known ones should be kept in our minds.

Thanks to the originator for keeping us informed.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »

The use of the word "advert " seems to be a commonality in these scams
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: