Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapatalk?  (Read 2557 times)
K3NPO

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »

Has there ever been any talk about enabling this forum to work with Tapatalk? http://www.tapatalk.com/

It's a wonderful way to read/browse/comment on forums from your mobile devices.

Cat, K3NPO
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »

Isn't Tapatalk one of those annoying pieces of software which believes it is free to append advertising to forum contributions?

Sent by Firefox from my XP laptop  8-)
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »

Just like when using an iPhone and replying to email, you can disable the "sent by my iPhone" which is what Taptalk does... "sent using tapatalk" signature. That's the only self advertising it does and you can stop it from doing that.

You simply go to tapatalk.com, go to your control panel, and update the settings. 

Cat, K3NPO
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »

They also evidently added the option for forum owners to turn off Tapatalk signatures on a forum wide basis, found this on one of their help pages:

"To answer the concerns of Tapatalk Signature - we have added a new switch in the Forum Owner Area where you can disable the entire Tapatalk signature from the server-side, it is a master switch the app will adhere and will not insert signature regardless of the user's setting."

Cat, K3NPO
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »

Two fora I belong to support TT.  I don't read such on my true mobile device and on the iPad, regular web browser preserves full functionality.

IOW, I put Tapatalk into "File 13", aka, "The Circular File"....just not useful for ME.

GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »

I would like to see this on Eham as well. I use it on radiopreppers.com, so I know there is a plug-in for the Simple-Machine software...

Gil.
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »

Some other forums I use on a regular basis have specifically ruled out Tapatalk since you have to give them unrestricted access to your user database. What this means is that if Tapatalk is ever compromised, every forum that uses that service will be compromised until the forum administrator removes Tapatalk (or Tapatalk fixes their issue). Most forum administrators would rather not worry about relying on some other system's security...

Chris - KU7PDX
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »

Some other forums I use on a regular basis have specifically ruled out Tapatalk since you have to give them unrestricted access to your user database. What this means is that if Tapatalk is ever compromised, every forum that uses that service will be compromised until the forum administrator removes Tapatalk (or Tapatalk fixes their issue). Most forum administrators would rather not worry about relying on some other system's security...

Can you find me an article on this? I use several large sized forums with tapatalk already and was having a bit of an issue finding something via  quick google search that indicated it gets "full access". It might, but I'd just like to read where this is specified. Only thing I was able to find is that most of the security flaws listed out there on sites, are ones that are out of date now and Tapatalk has since fixed, so looks like they tend to be fairly on top of things.

Cat, K3NPO
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »

Can you find me an article on this? I use several large sized forums with tapatalk already and was having a bit of an issue finding something via  quick google search that indicated it gets "full access". It might, but I'd just like to read where this is specified. Only thing I was able to find is that most of the security flaws listed out there on sites, are ones that are out of date now and Tapatalk has since fixed, so looks like they tend to be fairly on top of things.
I've never come across any articles on this, but then again I don't administrate any forums either. Just reporting what other forum administrators have said when asked to implement Tapatalk. Even if Tapatalk has bulletproof security, having a single point of failure is still a bad idea.

Chris - KU7PDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: