Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Window Feed Thru  (Read 8089 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »

I'm looking at using a MFJ-4601 Window Feed Thru panel on my station and will run about a 10' jumper to the radio and the ground will be about that look to, Is there anything special I need to do to be safe?

73  Lamar
KK4NZO
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »

The 4601 should get the job done nicely. On the outside, you might want to ensure that you leave 'drip loops' in the coax that connects to the outside of the panel, so you don't get water running down the coax onto the connectors.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »

On the outside, ground the panel to your household electrical service entrance ground using at least #6 AWG copper wire.
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »

I don't think I can do that. The ground for the radio will be on one end of the house and the house ground for the electric coming into the house is on the other end. I was planning on putting a 8 foot ground rod by the window and ground my radio and other equipment to that. Won't that work like that?

Lamar
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »

I don't think I can do that. The ground for the radio will be on one end of the house and the house ground for the electric coming into the house is on the other end. I was planning on putting a 8 foot ground rod by the window and ground my radio and other equipment to that. Won't that work like that?

Yes, it would work...as a ground.  It would also prove to be dangerous, in the way that if there is any potential voltage difference between the two ground rods, you or anybody who touches your equipment may become the connection through which that potential is equalized.  In other words, you may receive an electrical shock that may kill you!

If you do install another ground rod, the National Electrical Code requires that the two ground rods be connected--bonded--together with number six cable.  That is to prevent your survivor from appending 'SK' to your callsign.
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »

If I understand right, I need to run number six  cable ground wire  around to the electrical ground. Can I bury the ground cable or do I need to attach it to bottom of house at ground level or up under the eves of the house. I want to make sure that its do proper and no mistakes.

73 Lamar
KK4NZO
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »

It should be at or below ground level.  You don't want it attached to combustible materials anywhere as a precaution.  Also, keeping it direct, short as possible and without any sharp bends in it is best.  At house corners, approach the corner with the cable out away from the foundation so you can do that.  You can either bury it or leave it laying on the ground if there isn't any possibility of someone or something snagging it and displacing it, but I would bury it, even if only a couple of inches deep.  Keep clamped connection above ground to conform with the Nat'l Elec. Code.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:25:29 PM by K1CJS » Logged
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

Thanks. I will bury it then. I want to make sure that I do everything right and safely also.

73  Lamar
KK4NZO
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »

One more question, does the ground wire need to have a cover or can it be bare? Just roughly measuring, I will have to run the wire about 100' to the main electrical ground. Also the ground wire will cross a live electric wire that is buried running to an outside storage building. Will that cause a problem there?

Lamar
KK4NZO
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

One more question, could I ground it to a water pipe that comes out of the house? If I could use it, the distance would only be about 25 foot.

Lamar
KK4NZO
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:02 AM »

The ground wire can be a bare wire if that is what you have.  It does not need to be covered.

To the water piping--check to make sure the entire water system is copper pipe before you connect to it.  Also, some localities have codes that prohibit it if the water system uses plastic (PVC) piping anywhere in it.  

If it is all metallic and local codes do not prohibit it, yes, you can use it.  The idea here is to connect and equalize ground rod potential, not to use the piping to conduct a lightning charge.

Added--BTW, sorry for the delay.  I'm located on Massachusetts' south coast, in the middle of the recent snowstorm and was without power for a day.  73!  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:17:40 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I have found EHam.net a very great site for information from experience ham operators to us newbie's that are starting out. Thanks again!

73 Lamar
KK4NZO
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »

A bare buried bonding conductor will also improve the general performance of your grounding system as there is more bare metal in contact with earth.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N2OAM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »

You REALLY need to connect your station ground to to the service entrance ground.  A nearby lightning strike can create a large potential difference between the 2 ground systems.  VERY bad Ju-Ju for the equipment in your house.

73 de bob,
N2OAM
KF7ZCH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »

If my radio may be in the inside of the house next to no outside walls, would it be bad to run the ground inside the walls and out the house.  I would possibly do the same for the coax as well.  Both the coax and the ground wire could come across electrical lines in the house.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: